Author: Jenn Miller

This Week on BootsnAll: Australia & Overweight Travel

This week on BootsnAll we talked all things Australia: from working holidays, to dangers, to long walks. We also tackled the sometimes difficult topic of body image and travel. Have a read:

Dangerous Destinations: Australia’s Great Barrier Reef

Dangerous australia thumb
Eileen Cotter Wright tackles the dangers, on land and sea, in Queensland, on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, and around Cairns. She talks about the wildlife risks and how to stay safe, from stinger suits to minding the danger signs posted on beaches.

“If you’re camping on the coast, or even out for a day’s adventure, pay attention to the signs posted for the presence of crocodiles. Much of the coast of Queensland is home to crocs and they are a very real, and present, danger. The signs are there for a reason. Stay out of the water, and away from the edge.”

Read Dangerous Destinations: Australia’s Great Barrier Reef

9 Picturesque Locations for a Working Holiday in Australia

australia thumb
If you’re looking for a place to live and work in Australia, Zoe Smith has nine ideas of places to learn and experience the real Australia. From working as a ranch hand to picking fruit seasonally in the Barossa Valley, there’s something for everyone. I dare you not to be inspired by the possibilities!

“As an alternative to laborious farm work, search for work on one of the hundreds of outback roadhouses, where workers are hired to cook, clean, waitress and run the remote service stations. Not only do they often throw in accommodation and food on top of your wages, but you’ll get to mingle with the stream of workers and travelers passing through.”

Find out where the work is and how to get it: 9 Picturesque Locations for a Working Holiday in Australia

Overweight Travel: Empowering Everyone

body image thumb
There are challenges that travelers who are overweight face that other people do not. But it’s not just about weight, it’s about body image in general. Pam MacNaughtan tackles the difficult issue of body image and travel, empowering everyone who wants to to get out there and have an adventure. Her practical strategies will help you forward!

“Body image is a serious issue, around the globe. It’s not solely about weight, it’s also about skin color as well. In Asia, where they stare and giggle at anyone who is bigger than a size 8, they struggle with skin color. Many Asians believe that having lighter skin means you are somehow better, richer, more desirable.”

Read: Overweight Travel: Empowering Everyone

Walks in Australia: 5 Epic Walks Down Under

australia hike thumb
You may already know that Jenn Miller is an avid walker. She walked the Camino de Santiago, across Spain, last summer. To train for that marathon, she took walks all over Australia. She breaks down the big, the bold and the beautiful across the land down under. Whether you have a long weekend, or a whole year to take a walk, you’ll find inspiration here.

“Walking is, in my opinion, the best way to engage with a place. It’s the slowest mode of travel. It forces interaction on a cellular level and connection through the souls of our feet and within every breath that we draw. When you walk within an environment, you have truly been there. It becomes part of your soul.”

Read: Walks in Australia: 5 Epic Walks Down Under