Author: Jenn Miller

This Week on BootsnAll: Beaches, Bus Trips, Fun Facts & Inspirational Adventurers

This week on Bootsnall we are out to equip and inspire (as usual)! Let’s kick spring break season off with a list of some of the best affordable beach destinations in the world, shall we? From there, we’ll talk overnight bus trips and how to survive them and help you up your pub night trivia game with a slew of geographical fun facts. Finally, we’ve profiled nine people, living and historical, who’ve taken adventure to the next level. Who’s ready to up their game?

13 Budget Beach Destinations Around The World

beach thumb
Quick, name three places you think of when I say, “Beach!” I’ve got money on the bet that the following were not included: Poland, Bulgaria, or Egypt. The should have been! Read on for 13 of the best beach destinations for travelers on a budget. There are a number on this list that you probably haven’t thought of yet.
“Poland isn’t a place most people would consider for a beach vacation, yet on the northern coast is an area called the Polish Riviera. Along the Baltic coast, you’ll find miles of sandy shores, including some of the biggest sand dunes in Europe, and beach resorts that cost a fraction of the price of their Mediterranean counterparts.”

Overnight Bus Tips From an Expert

bus thumb
I’ve done my share of overnight bus trips. Probably the worst one was down the Vietnamese coast between Hanoi and Hue. In a massive storm. That was an adventure. There are strategies to make these long travel nights more bearable. We’ve got them for ya:
“Sure, overnight bus rides have the advantage of combining two things travelers love: getting there and not breaking the bank to do it. Accommodation! Movement! It’s like two flavors of ice-cream when you only paid for one. Now let’s talk about how not to get botulism, e. coli, or cholera while you’re doing it.
Here you’ll find tips for how to arrive at your destination as undamaged as possible. Because let’s face it, if bus seats were comfortable to sleep in, we’d all give up our beds in favor of an 8-hour nightly catnap in a Greyhound special.”

20 Geography Facts That Might Surprise You

geography thumb
Okay, I’m a Geography teacher by training and there were some things in here that I didn’t know! If you’re all about learning things and understanding the world a little bit better, this one’s for you.
“I think many of us keep a simplistic version of a world map stored in our brains, but sometimes it’s a little too simple. The best example might be the notion that Europe lies directly east of the United States. Thanks to the Gulf Stream ocean currents, the climate of the Eastern U.S. is very similar to the climate of Western Europe, so it seems logical they must be similar distances from the Equator. But only the southernmost corners of Europe actually line up with the United States, and the majority of it is directly east of Canada. And it turns out that places don’t have to be across oceans to be in places some of us might find unexpected.”

9 Famous Adventurers to Inspire Your Trip

explorer thumb
Nelly Bly has long been one of my favorites. What’s not to love about a bad ass young woman who bucked convention and did what everyone said a woman could not do? But I didn’t know about some of the others… the Johnsons, for instance, pioneers of travel video before it was cool.
“No matter what our goals and dreams are in life, there are plenty of people who came before us who can provide inspiration. No matter what era we look at, chances are there were amazing people breaking down barriers, discovering new, unique, and interesting places and ways of doing things, and providing motivation for us to get out there and make our dreams come true.
As time goes on and technology advances, it makes it easier and easier to accomplish our goals. By looking to the past at those who have done more with less, we can be encouraged to go outside what society deems normal and live the life we truly want to live.”