Author: Jenn Miller

Easy Countries, Bone Churches, Flying, and the Camino

This week on BootsnAll we’re solidly in the middle of our month with a focus on Europe. How many of the creepy bone churches in Europe have you been to? Have you walked all, or part, of the Camino de Santiago yet? Plus, we’ll break down the easiest countries around the world to get into and provided some tips for flying. Not your favourite? We know.

Top 10 Easiest Countries to Get Into

easy thumb
Does the idea of having to go through the rigamarole of getting visas scare you? Not keen on the idea of shipping your passport off to embassies around the world and spending hundreds of dollars before you’re even allowed to land in a country? The visa rodeo is not my favorite sport either. Luckily, there are lots of countries that don’t have an expensive or lengthy visa process required to visit. Here are 10 of the very easiest countries to get into. Madagascar & Kosovo surprised me. Palau? I think I must go.
“Fancy spending a whole year exploring some of the most spectacular diving and snorkeling sites in the world? Well, if you are a US, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Guam or Northern Marinas Island citizen you can do just that. Even better, one-year visas to these citizens are granted upon arrival.”

Nine of the Strangest Bone Churches in Europe

bones thumb
I’ve been to the catacombs in Rome, and down into the creepy underground caverns beneath Paris, I regretted missing one of the most famous ones, in the Czech, but there are so many others that were news to me. I love these places. It’s not the creep factor, for me; it’s the amazing amount of history and the dozens of stories stacked up among the bones. Who were they? How did they live? Who did they love? What did they see? I’m fascinated.
“Bone churches, more accurately called “ossuaries,” exist in several countries in Europe, and can consist of everything from piles of decorated skulls to pieces of wall art made up of various human bones. If you’d like to make a tour of Europe’s bone churches, these are the spots you’ll definitely want to have on your list.”

12 Tips, Tricks & Things You Didn’t Know About Flying

flying thumb
Blue juice? Crumb catchers? Gate Lice? Crotch watch? And, working the village?? You’ll have to read all the way to the end to get to the best part. I laughed out loud and won’t think about flying quite the same way again.
“Pilots only tell passengers what they need to know, so even if there’s an engine failure, most of the time it goes unannounced. Most planes can fly just fine with one engine anyway. Pilots never tell passengers about thunderstorms, often times, they’ll say: “We’re approaching a patch of rough air,” so no one freaks out.”

Guide to Walking the Camino de Santiago

camino thumb
In 2014 I walked the Camino de Santiago, from St. Jean Pied-de-Port, to Santiago de Compostela, Spain; all 800 kilometers. It was a life changing adventure. This summer, I’m going back to walk the final stretch, from Santiago to the sea and complete the path to the end of the world. If you’re thinking about walking the Camino, this guide will get you started with all of the details you need to know, from what to pack, to how to ship your bag ahead, to how to rent a bicycle if you want!
“One of the things that amazes me about the Camino is its universal appeal. Thousands of pilgrims walk it every year. Hundreds of thousands have been walking it for centuries. Catholics, protestants, athiests, agnostics, pagans, buddhists, jews, and every hybrid you can imagine line the path. The movie The Way, with Martin Sheen, inspired thousands more to pack a bag and take a long walk. Perhaps you are among them.”