Author: Jenn Miller

This Week on BootsnAll: Packing, Ultralight Weight Travel, Southeast Asia & Yugoslavia

This week we tackled the big subjects of packing, Southeast Asia and the regions that make up the former Yugoslavia. I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to pack a bag and hop a flight.

The Ultimate Guide to Packing for a Long Term Trip

packing thumb
Adam Seper knows what he’s talking about when it comes to packing for long term travel. He, and his wife Megan, took a year long adventure through 11 countries and across four continents. He breaks this packing monster down into manageable chunks. From clothes (for both men and women) to toiletries (he says most people pack WAY too much) to technology, he’ll help you lighten your load and pack the rightthings.

Every person has different opinions, so there is no set rule for what to bring and what not to bring. Some people swear by travel-related clothes and only buy and bring those. Some find them too expensive and silly looking (hello zip-off pants!), so they bring the items they would normally wear at home. Many travelers refuse to bring something like blue jeans, which are big, heavy, and take a long time to dry, while others don’t care about those negative aspects and are perfectly comfortable wearing them on the road. The key is to do what makes sense for you.

Read The Ultimate Guide to Packing for a Long Term Trip

Ultralight Weight Travel and No Baggage Fees

lightpack thumb
Even if you’re a savvy packer, Simone Cannon de Bastardo will challenge you to up your game. She and her husband SHARE a backpack, even on their longer term journeys! If you’re ready to drastically cut the weight you’re carrying and get it all into one bag, that you can carry on to avoid baggage fees, Simone will show you how.

Traveling should be about freedom, enjoying new adventures, experiencing other cultures and a change of scenery, but for many people it is about anxiety, insecurity and fear of the unknown. They compensate by taking as many things as they can carry (and often much more than they can carry), but as the traditional aboriginal saying goes, “The more you know, the less you need.”

Read Ultralight Weight Travel and No Baggage Fees, and be inspired!

What to Pack for Southeast Asia

sea thumb
Pamela MacNaughtan is there, as we speak, and it’s not her first rodeo. As a Southeast Asia travel veteran, she’s got some helpful advice on what to pack to take into consideration climate and culture as well as a healthy dose of experiential wisdom on what not to pack:

“Here’s a short list of what not to bring to Southeast Asia:
Extras of just about anything: Trust me, you can get it there.
Medications: Bring your prescriptions. The pharmacies sell everything but controlled substances over the counter
Valuables: You’ll just worry about them, and in remote places they can be a target.
Books: Book swap shelves are in every hostel & foreign language book shops are common, especially in bigger towns”

Headed to Southeast Asia? Read What to Pack for Southeast Asia before you go.

The Former Yugoslavia: Go Now!

yugoslavia thumb
The countries that make up what was once Yugoslavia are a growing in popularity as travel destinations, and with good cause. Felipe Nunes gives you the lowdown on each region, any safety concerns, the best places to have an adventure, and the cities worth spending some time in. This detailed piece is sure to inspire you to visit before the masses do.

“The old Yugoslavia is a safe and reasonable priced destination, with a multitude of cultural experiences on offer, enhanced by a fairly developed infrastructure and a flourishing tourism sector.”

Read The Former Yugoslavia: Go Now!