Author: Sean Keener

This Week on BootsnAll: Shoulder Season Savings

Ah, shoulder season. More than a travel catch-phrase, it’s that glorious time of year when the weather in a place is pleasant (maybe not ideal, but better than off-season) yet the crowds are fewer and prices are lower than during peak season. A travel compromise, it can be one of the best times to visit a place if you’re looking to save a bit of money but still want to get the most out of your destination.
Shoulder seasons vary around the world. In Europe, the fall months fall into the shoulder season. You may not be able to hit the beaches of Italy in October, but you’ll avoid both the high prices and big crowds of summer and the chilly weather of winter. Fall is also shoulder season in New England (between October leaf-peeping and winter’s ski season), the Caribbean (where the threat of rain and storms lowers prices), and the South Pacific (the start of rainy season).
This week, we’re criss-crossing the globe with an eclectic collection of feature articles about destinations that are great to visit in shoulder season – whether than be right now or throughout the year. First up, a look at some crazy “naked” festivals and events around the world! Then we’ll look at some of the best cheap beach destinations to visit all year long, as well as some of the best US towns for foodies. We’ll also explore the appeal of Uruguay (shoulder season: now during their spring) and on Wednesday, Adam Seper suggests the best destinations to begin your round the world trip.
Read more about shoulder season destinations:

Photo by Josh Mishell