Author: Sean Keener

This Week on Bootsnall: Turkish Baths, Tips for WWOOFing, Working on the Road & the Middle East

This month we’re focused on helping you with the financial end of traveling, from budgeting and saving to making money as you travel, and in terms of destinations, we’re looking at the Middle East. We’ve got a post chockfull of ideas for ways to make money as you travel (legally!) and one with tips for WWOOFing, which is a great way to reduce your costs as you travel significantly.
If you’re headed to Turkey, we’ll help you save embarrassment on that first trip to a Turkish bath (yes, you should wear underwear, and definitely tip your scrubber!) Finally, we’ll break down five of the safest places in the Middle East (and the world!) to travel. Inspiration abounds!

The First Timer’s Guide to Avoiding Embarrassment at a Turkish Bath

hammam thumb
You can’t go to Turkey without visiting a Hammam, but for many, that first trip is fraught with embarrassing questions and potential for a big blush fest. Not to worry, we’ve got you covered. Everything you need to know about bathing in public is covered in this post!
“Men and women generally go topless in hammams, but they do wear underwear. Don’t get completely naked—that is taboo. It’s not required that you go in topless, but if you don’t, know that you will stand out. It’s also wise to wear dark underwear so it doesn’t become transparent once it’s wet”

How to Make Money While Traveling

work travel thumb
If you haven’t saved up quite enough to travel indefinitely, or if you’re months into your journey and you realize you want to keep going, or if you’d just like to stretch the bucks you have by earning a few more, we’ve got a bunch of ideas for you on how to make money while you are traveling. Legally, of course!
“Making money while travelling is possible, for everyone, you just need to sit down and think outside of the box. Do you have a talent that you can monetize? Are you willing to be paid under-the-table to do grunge work? Think about how you want to travel; moving from place to place can make it difficult to earn money while travelling, the best way is to travel slow and spend a couple months in each destination.”

8 Tips for First Time WWOOFERs

WWOOF thumb
Considering WWOOFing as a way to keep your costs low, connect with locals and learn something new as you travel? You’re not alone, and it’s a great idea! There are, however a few things you should consider before taking that first WWOOFing gig.
“What was planted in the 1970’s in England as a way for city dwellers to contribute to the organic food movement on the weekends has sprouted to mean so much more. I can now vouch that the global organization of loosely affiliated WWOOF host farms and WWOOFers is without a doubt one of the best ways for travelers to truly discover a destination instead of just simply making it a dot on their travel map.”

5 Safe Places in the Middle East to Travel Now

middle east thumb
Did you know that there are countries in the Middle East that have topped the safest country to travel to in the world list more than once? Yep. In the era of ISIS and crazy newscasts full of terrorism and travel warnings, some of the safest, most beautiful and western welcoming countries are in the Middle East. Check it out:
“Some of these oil-rich nations are the most technologically and economically advanced on the planet, having carved a wonderland out of the fringe of the desert. Others are a reflection of some of the oldest civilizations on earth with a rich history and deep cultural roots.”