Author: Sean Keener

Travel During Winter – #RTWChat

Traveling during the cold months can provide challenges, particularly when it comes to packing. But the frustrations of winter travel are worth it for activities like snowboarding, skiing, Christmas Markets, and the general beauty of winter landscapes.

Travel Beauty Tip: Pack Smart

Packing right is just as important as which travel beauty products you’re packing. SmarterTravel’s Christine Sarkis recommends using multi-use containers to stash all your necessities. “I use contact-lens cases to hold smaller amounts of face moisturizer and sunscreen for shorter trips,” Sarkis says. “It helps me maximize my 3-1-1 toiletries bag since it takes up only a small amount of room.”
If you’re bringing a bag of toiletries on the airplane, make sure you know what’s allowed—and what’s not. Things you should pack in your checked bag include liquids in quantities of 3.4 ounces or more, such as gel deodorants, toothpaste, perfume, and liquid makeup. According to TSA guidelines, you can ack lipsticksdisposable razorscuticle cutterseyelash curlersnail clipperstweezers and small toiletry scissors (less than four inches) in your carry-on.
Another useful travel beauty packing tip: powders. Not only are they 3-1-1 compliant (if over 12 ounces, it may be subject to additional screening), so you can take as many as you like in your carry-on, but they’re also practical in other ways. “Powder not only gives you coverage, but it also gives you SPF protection and it can absorb excess oil,” Schlip says. Be sure to pick a product that is buildable, like a compact powder so that you can reapply. Before leaving the terminal, you can make a quick stop in the restroom to touch up with powder foundation, bronzer, and blush. Other products that come in powder form include dry shampoo and sunscreen.
Relying on free hotel amenities for your travel beauty routine can save you a lot of packing space, but be sure to bring necessities hotels might skimp out on like proper heating control thanks to this ac installation services. “I’ve been noticing more hotels only provide shampoo or a terrible shampoo/conditioner hybrid these days,” SmarterTravel’s Caroline Morse Teel says. “I hate being caught without it, so I refill one of these travel bottles with my favorite conditioner just in case.”

Travel Beauty Tip: Don’t Forget About Your Physical Health

After all, beauty comes from within. Drinking water is an obvious health tip, and it’s even more important when you take to the skies. So, first and foremost, pack a water bottle. After all, the best way to keep your skin soft and healthy is by staying hydrated from the inside out. Sure, flight attendants hand out water on the plane. But usually it comes in those little plastic cups or mini bottles, and it’s not as if the economy-class beverage service arrives at your beck and call. The easy solution is to pack a squishy, foldable, reusable Vapur Anti-Bottle and to fill it with water after you’ve passed through security. The BPA-free container holds 18 ounces of liquid. Kvedar says that people don’t think enough about the dehydration they will face on airplanes. It’s a good idea to drink eight glasses of water the day before your trip, and avoid caffeine and alcohol.
Wash your hands with soap and water, especially before you apply makeup. Not only will this help you avoid getting sick on vacation, but it’ll also keep your skin looking fresh and breakout-free. And while this tip may seem basic, it can often be a challenge to find a reasonably clean sink with soap in places like buses, subways, and germy tourist attractions. For those moments, make sure you have a small bottle of hand sanitizer readily available. During cold and flu season, take extra precautions when disinfecting your airplane seat and avoid touching your face as much as possible.

Product Pick:

[View the story “Traveling During Winter” on Storify]