Author: Sean Keener

Traveler of the Week – Grant Cansler

If you haven’t had a chance to check out our new traveler profiles, then this is the perfect time to do it.
Part of what makes indie travel great is all the meaningful connections one makes with both locals and other travelers.  So what we wanted to do was to give indie travelers a place to get together and share their adventures with other like-minded people.  These traveler profiles are short and sweet and offer a variety of information about each person’s round the world trip (or for those who have not yet gone – their dream round the world trip).
Each Tuesday, though, we are going to highlight one traveler from our profiles and offer up a little more information about them.  Learn more about traveler of the week Grant below!

1. When do you leave for your trip and where is your first destination?

I left September 5th and the first destination is New Zealand to do a South Island road trip with my sister.

2. What is your biggest concern at this point of the planning process?

Only concern is being a little under planned for a month in China. I know the major stops I would like to hit such as Chengdu, Xian, Shanghai & Beijing but have not planned anything in-between. It is about time to hit the community forums to get an idea of what may be best to do.

3. What are you most looking forward to on your trip?

Besides meeting people and just exploring, the number one destination for me is Bhutan. I’ve thought about going for so long that I cannot wait to experience that country.

4. Did you buy a round the world ticket or point to point? Why?

I did point to point. I like the flexibility point to point can offer when changes need to be made but I also used some points from a former life in business travel to help with costs, which forced me into booking point to point flights.

5. What would you tell someone who was on the fence about going on a round the world trip?

Why live a life where one day you are starting sentences with “I should’ve” rather than “I remember this time in Chang Mai…” The fact is the trip will never be perfectly planned, there is not a perfect time to do it and there isn’t really a magic number when it comes to money. But you can prepare – so prepare an itinerary, prepare ideas for when you return to support yourself in the real world and prepare by saving for the trip. Then decide there is nothing better than doing, instead of just dreaming.