Author: Sean Keener

Week 2 Round Up | 30 Days of Indie Travel


This is part of BootsnAll’s 30 Days of Indie Travel project, a daily blogging challenge with a prompt for every day in November 2011. 

The “Best of” for Week 2

Every week we’ll be gathering some of our favorite posts from the 30 Days of Indie Travel Project. This week the great submissions kept coming in, with even more people joining in project! Here are some of our favorite posts from the first 6 days of the Indie 30 Project.
Day 7:  Celebrate
Joining in the local celebration can definitely open a new window into the culture of a place….and sometimes that means making yourself a little uncomfortable, as Zak at Sparkpunk found during a Croatian dinner.
Day 8:  Love Learning 
Some people stop traveling when they have kids. Anthony and Jodie say the baby they’re expecting will be a reason to do more, so their child will grow up to love learning and exploring the world.
Life-changing travel and learning can happen without venturing far from home, as Erin learned this year.
When you travel with kids, says 500 Places with Kids, the world is their classroom.
Day 9: One Day 
Sometimes nothing big has to happen for day to be memorable. As YQ Traveling shows, a day of little perfect moments can add up to one perfect day.
“What makes a day of travel perfect, is a magical combination of place, time, leisure, and wonder,” says Brooke of Have Roots and Wings. In her post she shows how that can happen anywhere, even close to home.
Day 10: Earth 
Kaypacha travels goes off the grid in the jungle and feels the “heartbeat of the Amazon.”
Sometimes nature can seem so big and powerful, making us feel small, weak, and a bit humbled, as Traveling 9-5 learns on a snowboarding trip.
Day 11: Feast 
Erin Graves was always a picky child, until one fateful day in Germany taught her the delights of being adventurous.
Candice Walsh shares the story of a Mexico meal that was memorable for all the wrong reasons.
Day 12:  Meaningful Connections 
Melissa says “friends are the best souvenirs you can bring home,” a sentiment with which most travelers will agree.
Mittie shares the story of a connection she made in Romania, and explores the “moment in which we see ourselves through the eyes of another, a point where we recognize ourselves outside of our context.”
Day 13:  Home
Many people may relate to Jonk’s definition of home, but few would put it so simply and beautifully:” …wherever my heart gets full, there is my home.”
Melissa has lived in more than a few places throughout her life, but she gushes about San Francisco as the home she loves the most in this post.
Day 14: Quote
 Have Roots and Wings rounds up some great travel quotes, include a few faves from Mark Twain.
BootsnAll’s Olivia offers an Ayn Rand quote for those who would rather jump in than wait for permission. 
 

30 Days of Indie Travel Project: How to Participate

We’re inviting bloggers from around the world (that means you, too!) to join us in a daily blogging effort designed to reflect on how our travel experiences over the last year – or whenever – have shaped us and our view of the world. Bloggers can follow the prompts as strictly or loosely as they like, interpreting them in various ways and responding via text, photos or video posted on their own blogs.
We’ll share some of our favorites via Twitter and Facebook throughout November, as well as a round-up article at the end of the month, so if you’re playing along make sure to let us know – use the #indie30 hashtag on Twitter, and link to the 30 Days of Indie Travelpage in your post so we’ll be able to find it.
Find out all of the 30 Days of Indie Travel blogging prompts so far – it’s never too late to join in the fun!