Author: Sean Keener

What's Your Best Tip for a First-Time Traveler?

From the good advice to the bad advice, travel tips can be based on anything from personal experience to general fears. Last year, we asked our BootsnAll community what the worst piece of travel advice you’d ever received was. The list was both funny and random, where we could almost have played a game of opposites and had a great list of advice. So now we’re asking you: What’s your best tip for a first-time traveler?
Most of us get that feeling of excitement and nervousness right before leaving on our next big adventure, but can you remember what you felt like on your first trip? First-time travel is such an eye-opening experience. Everything is new. You’re mind is processing a million things – How much is this change worth? Will this bus stop at the next place or do I need to pull the cord? What language are they speaking? No matter what we do, we’re going to make mistakes — that often end up as some of the best memories — but if you could go back in time and tell self-circa 2009 or 1999 or 1989 or 1979 or whatever decade you began your adventures: What’s one of the first things you would say?
» This week on BootsnAll: Articles you’ll read this week include: Is It Worth It? An Insider’s Thoughts on Voluntourism in Orphanages and Schools, a look at why home exchange is perfect for indie travelers, and how to embrace coming home after a round the world trip.

Week 22 of the Indie Travel Challenge is all about sharing your best tip for a first-time traveler.

What do you wish you’d known before your first trip?
Don’t forget to add your blog posts to the main Indie Travel Challenge page – and be sure to include a picture when you do (we love pictures!).
The Indie Travel Challenge is a year-long blogging project. Every Monday, we’ll post a new prompt, question, or challenge that bloggers can respond to via text, photos, or video. Respond on your own blog, and link back to BootsnAll so we can find and highlight the best submissions.
Check out the Indie Travel Challenge landing page for all information related to the event. You can see the week’s daily prompt, follow the hashtag on Twitter, share your posts, and check out submissions from around the world.
photo by pinterest