Author: Sean Keener

Why I co-created the Indie Travel Manifesto

Today, our CEO Sean, takes you on a look behind our own Indie Travel Manifesto, why he created it, and what his top 3 values on it are:
Nov 7 - question
 
“In February of 2012, my colleagues, Rolf Potts, and I shared the Indie Travel Manifesto for the 1st time.
I pushed for doing this for a many reasons. If you’ve read my 16 lessons from running an internet travel start-up for 15 years piece, why will make even more sense.
I had co-founded BootsnAll with several awesome travelers and friends about 13 years before we wrote the manifesto and had tried so many topics in travel. One topic, long-term travel, we were experts having done it, and coached and encouraged people for years.
Pretty Flowers Sean likes.
As a team, we had just identified the words that were already our core values as a company in the Fall of 2011. Writing a list of core values for Indie Travelers felt like the right thing to do to help clarify what Indie Travel, Vagabonding, or RTW travel was/is.
And working with Rolf, perhaps the father of the modern independent travel movement birthed with his still resonating book from 2002, Vagabonding (read this if you haven’t yet – it may change your life) – seemed like the best way, to come up with a set of values that describe and communicate what Indie Travel (or whatever word/phrase that you want to use for some sort of long-term travel experience) is.
My 3 favorite values from the Indie Travel Manifesto are:

1) Private transformation over social status and bragging rights

2) The Present Moment over dreams of past and future

3) Emphasize listening more than talking

IMG_6935

For me, and from the thousands of travelers I’ve spoken with over the years, long-term travel’s life changing themes are often centered around these one or all of these 3 values.
Try them on today. I will again.”

 – Sean Keener, CEO BootsnAll.com