Author: Sean Keener

The World's Most Dangerous Destinations, Why You Should Ignore What You've Heard & Go to Colombia, 10 Weird Foods from Around the World, and 12 of the World's Most Active Volcanoes

Thrilling, life-changing and ….dangerous? Like everything else in life, travel comes with its own particular set of risks, and yes, even dangers.  From hiking a volcano, to sampling foods that scare your stomach into submission, to leaving your preconceived notions behind to explore a new place, there’s a certain excitement to exploring destinations that some travelers write-off as extreme.
This week at Bootsnall, Zöe Smith weighs in on 10 of the most dangerous destinations around the world, and which places may be worth the risk to visit. On the fence about the safety and appeal of travel in Colombia?Adam Seper shares the story of how he overcame his misgivings to fall in love with the country on his travels, and why you should, too.  Do you consider yourself an open-minded foodie? Victoria Brewood has a list of delicacies from the around the world, that you may want to try (sometimes at your peril).  Finally, we rounded out the week with Cristina Puscas’ guide to 12 of the most active volcanoes worldwide, including information about how to get close, and which ones you can legally climb with out a permit signed by a lawyer, if you are going for the danger check www.nj-legal.com.

 10 of the World’s Most Dangerous Destinations(& Which Ones Are Worth the Risk)

From ravaged war zones to narco-trafficking hotbeds, these 10 countries are a selection of those that pose the most danger to travelers. Zöe Smith has the answer to your question: are they worth the risk?
“Pickpockets working the crowds, fraudsters looking to clone your credit card and even modern day pirates working the high seas – yes, traveling the globe can be a dangerous game–depending on your destination. Just recently there have been terrorist attacks in Belgium and rioting on the streets of Paris and London – it seems nowhere is safe from harm. But what would it take to stop you from traveling? How dangerous is too dangerous?”

Why You Should Ignore Everything You’ve Heard & Go to Colombia


If you’re basing everything you know about Colombia on what the media tells you, then it’s time to listen to someone who’s actually been. Adam Seper loved his time in Colombia. Here’s why you should forget the stereotypes about the country and book a trip today.
“While I have to admit that I was apprehensive before our trip to Colombia, I’m more than ecstatic that I listened to the people who had actually been there instead of the doom-and-gloom reports of the media. I can’t help but chuckle now at the absurdity of thinking that traveling in Colombia was going to be a bad idea.
So, check your preconceived notions at the door and forget everything you’ve heard about Colombia, because I’m here to break down the three biggest barriers that might prevent you from visiting this wonderful, awe-inspiring, beautiful country filled with some of the most delightful people I’ve ever met.”

10 Weird Food Delicacies From Around the World

weird foods
One of the best ways to learn about local and regional culture is by putting edible things in your mouth and chewing and swallowing them. Victoria Brewood shares seriously strange, and sometimes dangerous bucket list of unusual delicacies for dedicated foodies and gourmands.
“Traveling is often about trying the unusual and attempting to experience a different culture in the country you’re visiting. One of the best ways to do this is to try the foods locals eat. They may not be to everyone’s tastes, but the following foods, considered weird and bizarre, or even dangerous to outsiders, are considered delicacies in their countries. Although eating these foods might seem like a form of ‘extreme dining’ to us, they’re tasty everyday or special occasion fare for the people who eat them.”

12 of the Most Active Volcanoes in the World

volcano, attraction to danger, much?
Are you an adventurer with a thing for Volcanos? Cristina Puscas shares a list of 12 of the most active volcanoes on earth, and how you can get up close (some can even be climbed).
“Most travelers cringe at the idea of yet another volcano messing up their vacation plans and grounding flights. And then, there are the other travelers. People who love adventure and would do anything to hike an active volcano, take photos of the lava flow and live dangerously, at least for a while.
Volcanoes are shrouded in mystery and have been connected with mythology, and religion since ancient times. Gods and goddesses were thought to control their fire and ash and the wellbeing of the people who lived near these fiery mountains. For thousands of years, they’ve created and destroyed land, cities, and reshaped the face of the planet.”
Photos Credits: Shutterstock.com, msiudmak /Shutterstock.com, Jess Kraft /Shutterstock.com, LUC KOHNEN / Shutterstock.com, Maridav.