Why you should add Barbados to your Indie/RTW trip[All content and prices updated July 2013]
Barbados doesn't get the same hype when it comes to Caribbean islands, but it should. A plethora of options make this island great for indie travel. Sure, there are the typical cruise and resort crowds, but there are also plenty of ways to get away from that scene and explore this beautiful island.
- Visit Central Barbados for few crowds, lush scenery, and rolling hills.
- Check out some of the local museums to learn about the interesting and brutal history of plantations and the slave trade.
- Channel your inner athletic ability and head to the Atlantic Coast for surfing, hiking, and diving.
- Rent a car and take a tour of the island on your own terms.
- Though touristy, the Oistins Fish Fry is always packed for a reason. Good food, good people, good music, and good times.
- Since the British controlled Barbados for so long, cricket is extremely popular. Check out a game in the stadium in the Capital or just stop and watch a pick-up game in one of the many pitches dotting the island.