Why you should add Denmark to your Indie/RTW trip
Denmark is the smallest and southernmost Scandinavian country. It is also the only one that is not located on the Scandinavian Peninsula. That fact is a microcosm of today's Denmark. It is part of something larger but it is still very distinct.
Read: Planning a Trip to Scandanavia.
- Denmark still ranks as one of the happiest place on earth according to a study which takes into account a number of life factors.
- If you like females, Denmark has plenty of them and many of them are stunning to the point of it being distracting. If you like males, the Danes come in that variety too and they are equally pleasant on the eye.
- Copenhagen is gorgeous with a very compact center that can be walked from one end to the other in less than an hour.
- The music scene in Copenhagen is surprisingly strong and even if you have to pay out the nose for alcohol you will find pubs and clubs full of fun seekers.
- The original Legoland is located in Billund, so that's a must if you are going with children.
- Ribe is Denmark's oldest town and the Viking Center there is a fascinating look at the culture that made this one of the richest parts of the world for centuries.
You can book a flight into Copenhagen Airport
(code CPH), which is the largest in Scandinavia. Flights from within Europe can be reasonable, but from abroad you might consider flying into Amsterdam (code: AMS) and taking a train or booking on a discount airline. This is an excellent stop if you are a Eurail Pass
holder, since journeys are long and prices are high.
Read: An Unfiltered Beer Tour of Denmark.
Where to stay
There are also plenty of hostels in Denmark
, and you'll need them to save a few bucks in an expensive country.