Airfare to Tokyo, Japan
Major Airports in Tokyo
Tokyo is served by the following airports:
- Narita Airport (NRT), the main international gateway
- Haneda Airport (HND) also known as Tokyo International Airport
- Ibaraki Airport (IBR) , serves only low cost carriers
For cheaper tickets to Tokyo, consider the following :
- Fly mid-week in order to take advantage of the low volume traffic days
- Consider flying from mid-January to February and take advantage of the low season rates; alternatively , the shoulder season (September to mid-December and mid-May to June) is also a good option
- Look for flights that go through Bangkok, Thailand; Delhi, India; or another major gateway city instead of flying direct. For example when searching a flight from London to Tokyo the price was $950 at two weeks notice, but when adding a stop in Bangkok, the price dropped to $904 for planning six weeks in advance. Click here to search this route
- When flying from the USA, searching a flight from San Francisco to Tokyo the price was $830 at two weeks notice. When adding a stop in Honolulu – a very popular stop-over on the route -, the price changed to $786 for planning several months in advance. Click here to search this route
- Check out carriers besides the national airline and don’t be afraid to opt for a low cost carrier.
Tokyo Travel Tips
In Tokyo, Japan’s largest city – indeed, one the busiest, dense and larger metropolitan areas in the world – there is always something new to explore.
Japan Airlines is the national carrier in the country and has hubs at Narita and Haneda. All Nippon Airways is the biggest carrier in the country, also having hubs at Narita and Haneda. Major airlines such as Emirates, KLM and United also stop in Tokyo and the city is served by a host of low cost carriers, as well.
The top attractions are cultural ones – pay respects at the Meiji Shrine, walk and gawk at the Imperial Palace, and take in the temples of Asakusa. After walking all day, take a boat ride on the river, or relax in a traditional bath before heading out to eat an amazing meal and check out the nightlife.
For more information on Tokyo, check out BootsnAll’s Tokyo Travel Guide.
Photo by wili_hybrid