Amman itself is a great base for exploring the surrounding areas, and even though some travelers will tell you to move on as soon as you arrive, there are still things worth seeing here.
- Wander around Rainbow Street, an interesting place to explore.
- If you find yourself in Amman during early September, you can take part in the Jordan Short Film Festival.
- Make sure you check out the sunset from the view point near the Citadel.
- If you want to get an idea of what the Old Amman is all about, explore the central area of downtown, called Balad.
- Spend some time hanging out in a hookah bar
Why you should add Amman to your RTW travel list
- Experience the Islamic Ramadan in December
- A starting point for travel to the amazing lost city of Petra
- Take a day trip out to the ancient ruins of Umm Al-Jimal
- Some of the world's best diving can be found in the south near Aqaba
- Fancy yourself as Lawrence of Arabia: Wadi Rum in the south is known for dramatic desert scenery
Why you should not add Amman to your RTW travel list
- Amman can seem underwhelming and too modern if you've come from other Middle Eastern cities.
- There are lots of modern shopping malls and western restaurants.