Follow these tips to have an indie travel experience in Abu Dhabi.
- Many of the sites in Abu Dhabi are actually free, so check these places out:
- Sheikh Zayed Mosque
- Corniche waterfront
- There's also plenty of green space in Abu Dhabi.
- Khalifa Park has its own aquarium, parks, gardens, and museum.
- Check out the Abu Dhabi Cultural Center for events and workshops.
- Go swimming at one of the many private beaches that hotels offer travelers. You can pay for a day pass even if you're not staying there.
Why you should add Abu Dhabi to your RTW travel list
- Get dusty watching the UAE Desert Challenge road rally
- Wander in any of almost 20 green parks of a city in the desert
- Tour Al-Hosn Palace, the oldest building in town
- Pick up something fresh for dinner at Abu Dhabi's fish market and dhow wharf
- A chance to see some bona fide oil sheiks
- Take a bus to Al-Ain for the camel races
Why you should not add Abu Dhabi to your RTW travel list
- Accommodations are expensive.
- It can be difficult to get around.
The new beating heart of the Middle East, Abu Dhabi made a leap from the Stone Age to the 21st century in only a few short decades, undergoing rapid development and quickly becoming a modern business center and tourist hub for the Arab world.