Why you should add the Cook Islands to your Indie/RTW trip[All content and prices updated July 2013]
Located in the middle of the South Pacific, the Cook Islands contain 15 islands and are often compared to Hawaii before Hawaii was a US state. The population is less than 15,000, and if you make the effort to get here, you are rewarded with ridiculous beaches and waters.
- Seen the movie Castaway? Yeah, visiting the Cook Islands is pretty much like that, only without the plane crash, and with a few more people around.
- Rarotonga, the largest island in the Cooks, has it all - mountains, jungles, and white-sand beaches.
- The most visited island, Aitutaki, is near one of the world's largest coral lagoons.
- Check out one of the local dishes, like ika mata, rukau, and poke.
- Get out to one of the smaller, less visited islands to see traditional village life in action.
- Be prepared to relax and experience a new version of laid back. Time is different here.