Author: Sean Keener

Budapest, Hungary

Europe: Round-the-World Travel Destinations

Budget Scale: 1-5

1-least expensive; 5-most expensive
3– Budapest is much more expensive than it was even in the past decade, but it’s still not as expensive as western European destinations. Backpackers who are used to scrimping can get by on about $50US/day while in Budapest.

Indie Travel Scale: 1-5

1-not a good Indie Travel destination; 5-a great Indie Travel destination
3– Traveling around a country like Hungary gives travelers a great opportunity to have an indie experience. Budapest is one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe, and exploring it further and getting deep into the culture is something that all travelers should strive for.
Indie Travel Tips
Check out these tips for having a truly indie experience in Budapest.

  • The locals in Budapest are among the friendliest around. So don’t worry about taking tours, just grab a map and explore on your own. If you get lost or have questions, a friendly Hungarian will be right there to happily give you a hand.
  • If you’re a fan of theater, you’ve come to the right place. Visit Budapest outside of the summer high season, and you can check out some of the best theater in the world.
  • Visit one of Budapest’s traditional public baths for an authentic and unique experience.
  • There are some super touristy caving opportunities in Budapest, but if you’re a little more serious and hard core, check out the Pál-völgyi–Mátyás-hegyi cave system.
  • Visit a borozo, or a wine pub, for an authentic Hungarian drinking experience.
  • Budapest is located on hills and , within easy reach by public transportation, there is a Children’s Railway which takes you to a lovely lookout point – Elisabeth Tower – accessible via a short hike in the woods.

Why you should add Budapest to your RTW travel list

  • Small downtown, easy to get around
  • Bathe in your choice of 100 thermal springs
  • Ever see a cave church before?
  • See what’s at the end of the Wine Labyrinth
  • Hungary’s Lake Balaton is the largest lake in Central Europe, and can be easily reached from the capital
  • The city of Eger has a lot of interesting things: a castle, excellent wine and good food. Plus it’s just half an hour by train from Budapest.
  • If you want to experience a Christmas Market without the high cost of Western Europe’s similar markets, come to Budapest in December.
  • See the Stud Farm and the Valley of the Beautiful Women

Why you should not add Budapest to your RTW travel list

  • It’s always a good idea to find a restaurant further from the touristy areas (especially Buda Castle Hill). Take a walk on one of the avenues which cross the city and you’ll find plenty of other good and cheap choices.
  • Don’t expect to speak English everywhere. Some basic knowledge of Hungarian helps a lot (even just for breaking the ice).

Are you heading to Budapest? What do you need to do?

Back to RTW Travel Destinations
Africa
Asia
New Zealand, Australasia, South Pacific
Central America
Europe
Middle East
North America
South America
Photo credit: 1