• Home >
  • RTW  >
Author: Sean Keener

Boston, MA, United States

North America: Round-the-World Travel Destinations

Budget Scale: 1-5

1-least expensive; 5-most expensive
4– Any major cities in the US are going to be expensive. There are a few hostels in Boston, and cheap food and entertainment options are few and far between.

Indie Travel Scale: 1-5

1-not a good Indie Travel destination; 5-a great Indie Travel destination
2.5– There are some ways to get off the beaten path in Boston, but a car is almost essential for doing so.
Indie Travel Tips
Follow these tips for having an indie travel experience in Boston.

  • In a country with a short history, Boston is one of the most historic with plenty of important sites that tell the story of the history of the United States.
  • Plan plenty of walks around the city to see the architecture and urban planning that Boston has embraced.
  • Come during the school year (September to May) to take in the energy and vibe of a city surrounded by prestigious and historic educational institutions.
  • Celebrate Independence Day in one of America’s most historic cities.
  • Boston is a big sports city and has been extremely successful over the last decade. Take in a Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and/or Bruins game while here to really mingle with the local people.

Why you should add Boston to your RTW travel list

  • Get a local to talk to you, and just listen to the accent
  • Walk the campuses of Harvard and MIT in nearby Cambridge
  • Knock back a green beer on St Patrick’s Day
  • Torture yourself with thousands of others in the Boston Marathon
  • Eat your fill at the annual Chowderfest
  • Take a day trip to Lexington and Concord, important cities in the Revolutionary War with the British
  • Scare up some witches in nearby Salem
  • See how the other half lives at Cape Cod

Why you should not add Boston to your RTW travel list

  • Boston is an expensive city to visit, and if you are traveling on a tight budget, it’s going to cost you.
  • If you want to take advantage of all the great surrounding areas, you’re going to need a car to do so.

Are you heading to Boston? What do you need to do?