• Home >
  • RTW  >
Author: Sean Keener

Orlando, FL, United States

North America: Round-the-World Travel Destinations

Budget Scale: 1-5

1-least expensive; 5-most expensive
3.5– Accommodations can actually be cheap in Orlando, and you can get by on food without busting the budget. Family theme parks, however…

Indie Travel Scale: 1-5

1-not a good Indie Travel destination; 5-a great Indie Travel destination
2– Orlando is known for Disney and theme parks, which are about as un-indie as you can get. But if you have a family, the kids will eat it up, and believe it or not, there are a few things to do that don’t involve Mickey Mouse.
Indie Travel Tips

  • There is actually a pretty good night-life in Orlando, so if you don’t have kids or are bringing the grandparents along, take advantage of the babysitter and get out for some cocktails and entertainment.
  • Downtown Orlando is actually a pretty bustling area. Head to Orange Avenue and check out the various bars, clubs, and restaurants.
  • Right off Orange Avenue is the pedestrian-only street called Church Street. More restaurants and bars can be found here, and there is plenty of live music on nearby Wall Street.
  • Explore Lake Eola, a park nearby downtown.

Why you should add Orlando to your RTW travel list

  • Home of Disney World, “the happiest place on earth”
  • Not enough theme parks? Try Universal Studios and SeaWorld
  • Too many theme parks? Get back to nature and see the endangered manatee at Blue Spring State Park
  • See if you have the “right stuff” at the Kennedy Space Center

Why you should not add Orlando to your RTW travel list

  • If you don’t have kids, it’s not the most desirable destination, but there are plenty of adults who still love it sans kids. To each their own.
  • A car is almost a necessity if visiting Orlando.

Are you heading to Orlando? What do you need to do?

Back to RTW Travel Destinations
Africa
Asia
New Zealand, Australasia, South Pacific
Central America
Europe
Middle East
North America
South America
Photo credit: 1