Author: Sean Keener

Bogota, Colombia

South America: Round-the-World Travel Destinations


Budget Scale: 1-5

1-least expensive; 5-most expensive
2.5– Bogota can be done on a backpacker budget, and it isn’t too hard to get by on $30-40USD per day. You can get a good, private, double room in a nice, clean hostel for $25/night.

Indie Travel Scale: 1-5

1-not a good Indie Travel destination; 5-a great Indie Travel destination
3.5– Bogota is an up and coming city that is much safer than it was 10-15 years ago, and the people are eager to show off what their city has to offer. They have plenty of unique sites to see that are unlike what many cities have to offer.
Indie Travel Tips

  • Don’t walk past the arepa stands on the side of the road. These are some delicious treats that are dirt cheap.
  • If you like sweet coffee, then get some tinto in tiny little cups from tinto vendors all around the city.
  • Hang out in many of the cities’ plazas, relax and people watch.
  • Get away from the hustle and bustle of the city center and explore the park of Virrey or the largest park in the city, Simon Bolivar.
  • Go to El Salitre and catch a futbol game at El Campin Stadium.
  • Every Sunday Bogota closes nearly 70 miles of its streets to cars in order to promote healthy living. Come walk, ride a bike, and just hang out with both Colombians and tourists alike.

Why you should add Bogota to your RTW travel list

  • Bogota is filled with great eats everywhere.
  • Visit some really cool museums like the Gold Museum and the Police Museum.
  • Experience the culture and atmosphere of Colombia.
  • Visit Bogota as a way into the Amazon Jungle.
  • If you’re into dancing and late nights, Bogota is a great place for it.
  • It’s the city to be in for exploration into the rest of the country.

Why you should not add Bogota to your RTW travel list

  • If you’re not into big cities, then Bogota may not be the place for you.

Are you heading to Bogota? What do you need to do?

Back to RTW Travel Destinations
Africa
Asia
New Zealand, Australasia, South Pacific
Central America
Europe
Middle East
North America
South America
Photo credit: 1