• Home >
  • RTW  >
Author: Sean Keener

FAQ – Overland Travel In India

What Is Overland Travel In India Like?

Despite the fact that India is an extremely difficult place to travel, the overland options are surprisingly good.

  • The rail network throughout India is vast, and the quality is pretty damn good. Comfort levels are more than adequate, and there are air con cars and sleeper cars available, and the price is more than fair. You can even check timetables and prices online and book online through several different sites, saving you the hassle and frustration of going to the train station an extra time.
  • Buses are cheaper than trains and sometimes faster, but what you save in money you make up for in lack of comfort. Most public buses don’t have air conditioning, the roads are quite poor in many areas, the drivers are absolutely insane. Sometimes buses make more sense, but unless you are traveling on an extremely bare bones budget, it’s worth the extra cash to take the train. There are better quality buses in some parts of India, including air con sleeper buses with actual beds, but they aren’t available everywhere and obviously cost much more than public buses. Make sure to do some research before taking a bus, especially a long, overnight journey.
  • Renting or hiring a car is a possibility, but after spending two minutes on the roads, you’d have to have a death wish to actually drive one yourself.
  • Hiring a driver is an excellent way of getting around India on your watch if you have a higher budget (check into this option regardless-you might be shocked at how affordable it is). It gives you the freedom to go where you want, when you want, and the speed with which you get around increases exponentially.
  • For more specific information about Overland Travel In India, including resources to use and sample fare prices, be sure to check out this article.
    It’s also a good idea to read up on the FAQ’s for specific information on overland travel in each region of the world:
    FAQ – Overland Travel In The Americas
    FAQ – Overland Travel In Africa And The Middle East
    FAQ – Overland Travel In Europe
    FAQ – Overland Travel In Russia And Central Asia
    FAQ – Overland Travel In China And Southeast Asia
    FAQ – Overland Travel In Australia And New Zealand
    [more link=”https://www.bootsnall.com/rtw/faq-overland-travel-in-china-and-southeast-asia.html”]Next RTW FAQ-Overland Travel in China and Southeast Asia[/more]