Author: Sean Keener

This Week on BootsnAll: Egypt, TEFL, Saving Money to Travel & the Psychology of Planning

It’s hard to believe that the first week of February is already drawing to a close. How are your plans coming for your big trip in 2016? Have you checked out our Best Value Destinations for 2016?
This month we’re going to be focusing on the Middle East as a destination, and on the money and budget aspects of planning your RTW trip. Here’s what you missed this week as we kick off a whole new month full of inspiration and tools to get you on the road:

Wandering Through Chaos: A Brief Look At The Hectic, Eccentric Side Of Egypt

egypt thumb
In this romantic look at the country of Egypt through the eyes of Taryn Pollack, you’ll be experience to the chaos of the big city, and the generosity of the local people. Learn what to expect as a female traveler, and about the ubiquitousness of Bakshish. Be transported to one of the big bucket list destinations for most travelers and consider adding Egypt to your big adventure this year.
“I don’t think I have ever come across such a welcoming, hospitable, friendly group of people as the Egyptian locals. All are willing to welcome you into their home, show you around their town or city, feed you, clothe you, take a photo for you, be in a photo with you and some even offer to drive you from A to B; regardless of where ‘A’ and ‘B’ may be. Declining their hospitality or any delicacy they may offer you can be considered offensive, as the Egyptians find a great deal of happiness in your willingness to join them in all that they do whilst in their country.”

17 Questions You Should Ask Before Accepting a TEFL Job

TEFL thumb
Have you considered getting your TEFL certification and relying on that as a way to make money as you travel the world? It’s a pretty great idea and you’d join the ranks of such famous travelers as Rolf Potts in employing that strategy. There are, however, lots of things to consider before taking a TEFL job. Here are 17 Questions to Ask Before Accepting a TEFL Job.
“Whether you are just getting started or you have been in the TEFL field for years, asking the right questions during an interview and contract negotiations will ensure that you don’t just accept any job, but that you select the one that best suits you. And, importantly, tough questions guard you against those few unscrupulous employers whose greed may leave you broke, in legal tangles and without a reference.”

75 Ways to Save Money For Your Travels

75 thumb
There are dozens of ways to find the money to travel, dozens. To prove it, Pam MacNaughtan gives you 75 of her best ideas. These are truly useful, money saving, or money making tips that you can put into action TODAY to start building your travel fund. If you’re serious about hitting the road, then you WILL find more money than you think you have in her suggestions.
“Saving money for your travels is not hard, but it does take thought and some planning. You don’t have to suffer to leave cheap, so you can save money. Be creative. Think outside the box.”

The Psychology of Pre-Trip Preparation

psych thumb
Are you down the wire in your planning and waking in the night with cold sweats over what you’ve overlooked? Maybe you’ve got kids and you’re stressing out about their safety, the educational implications and what you’ve failed to anticipate. Jenn Miller addresses the questions and concerns of a reader and shares some of what she would tell herself if she could go back and revisit her own planning stage.
“We all make the very best of what we have, at home, or abroad, and all of the determination and problem solving and energetic effort to make sure life runs smoothly goes with you when you take off. You’ll be leaving behind your stuff, but not your resourcefulness.”