Author: Sean Keener

This Week on Bootsnall: Planning your RTW, Social Media & Beaches!

This month we’re talking lots about how to plan your big ’round the world trip. We believe that 2016 is THE year for travelers to get out there and adventure so we’re doing our best to provide you with the knowledge and resources you need to make it a reality. Inspiration? We’ve got that too!
This week we focused on planning the classic route, how social media can help you plan, great destinations to get you started and some beaches to hit up without the cost of the Caribbean islands. Here’s what you might have missed:

9 Great Destinations to Begin Your ‘Round the World Trip

9 thumb
Where to start? That’s a big question, isn’t it? There’s no clear cut way to do it “right” and there are lots and lots of variables. But, if you’re looking to consider ease of travel, minimizing language difficulties, or stretching your budget, then you’ll find what you’re looking for on this list.
“Where to begin your RTW trip can be a stressful decision. You want to start in the perfect place, and rightfully so. But don’t put too much pressure on yourself. The most important thing is get your trip started off right, so choosing a destination that isn’t going to challenge you at every turn is the smart move. There are plenty of countries that fit the bill, so it’s just a matter of taking your personality and preferences into account and taking that plunge!”

A Classic ‘Round the World Trip

Classic thumb
If you’re looking for real life inspiration and experience, from someone who’s actually done it, then read this piece by Adam Seper. He’ll tell you exactly how he and his wife did their classic RTW, break down the destinations, the budgets and what you definitely shouldn’t miss. If you think 2016 might be your year, this is the place to start.
“The best part about this particular trip is that you don’t need to fly much. Get to South America, and as long as you have the time, you can travel overland pretty much everywhere inexpensively. Same with New Zealand. Same with Southeast Asia. Same with India. If you have a bit more coin or are shorter on time, you can certainly add a flight in here and there to save on time.”

Caribbean Without the Cost: 5 Great Beach Spots in Latin America

carib thumb
You know you love the beach. But, getting to the Caribbean islands can be expensive. And then, you’re limited to just one or two. What if, instead of island hopping, you made your way down the Caribbean coast of Latin America, taking your time, surfing, sunbathing, diving, whatever you want. No rush. A fraction of the cost. Yes. Let’s go.
“Getting around on a budget is easy too with chicken buses taking you the length of a country for a few dollars – way cheaper than cruising into Grand Cayman on a yacht. But doing the Caribbean Central American style doesn’t mean missing out on the fun. With renowned surf spots, Mayan Ruins and islands to explore, you don’t need to restrict yourself to horizontal living… unless you want to.”

Using Social Media to Plan Your Travels

social thumb
Social media is one of those loves we sometimes hate. It’s such a great tool, and yet it’s deeply pervasive as well. There’s a time and a place for shutting it off… that can be good when we travel. But, then again, social media can make travel a richer experience. How’s that? As a planning tool, a way to make (and keep) new friends, and an inside track to what’s happening right around you.
“Using paper guidebooks and maps are helpful, especially in the early stages, but the closer you get to your trip, and once you’re on the road, lugging around books and maps can add unnecessary weight.
Social media = instant gratification. When a guidebook is published the information is already at least a year old, when something is posted to social media it’s generally a representation of what is happening in the moment. The information is more recent, more up-to-date.”