Author: Francesca Rizzo

A Woman’s Guide to Packing Light

Preparing to go on vacation can be very stressful but packing doesn’t have to be. There was a time when I would spend hours trying to fit everything I might possibly need into a suitcase. However, with experience, I’ve learned there are really only a few things one shouldn’t be without. I’ve also discovered some multipurpose items that allow you to lighten your load without leaving all the luxuries of home behind.

>>book the airfare and also search for a hotel

So whether my travel plans involve camping, trekking or sightseeing, these are the items I take with me wherever I go.

[social]

Good shoes

There is nothing worse than hobbling around a fascinating part of a new city because the shoes you brought give you blisters. You don’t need to bring a lot of shoes as long as you take one pair that you will be comfortable wearing all day. Leave your brand new ones at home. If you must get new shoes for a trip, be sure to wear them a few times before you leave to break them in, and not just around the block. If you plan to walk a lot, then make sure you will be comfortable being on your feet in your shoes for a whole day.

A Diva cup

Finding menstrual products in other countries can be difficult; carrying your own can take up a lot of space – unless you bring a diva cup. It’s a reusable silicone menstrual cup. Generally, once you’ve tried it, you won’t want to go back to pads or tampons. Visit their site to find a retailer in your area.

>>get one here for $23.28

A hat

A hat provides protection from the sun and rain so you’ll be able to get out and about no matter what the weather is like. A lightweight fabric hat that can be stowed easily in a purse is the best, but find one that suits you. A hat’s no good if you won’t wear it in public.

A Towelini
This just may be the world’s most versatile travel accessory. If you are heading to a beach destination, a Towelini and a bathing suit is all the clothing you need. Made from 100% organic cotton, the Towelini is fast drying and super absorbent, yet it is still lightweight and compact. Thanks to its revolutionary design with two long handles integrated into the top, it can be wrapped and tied in dozens of different styles, worn as a dress, sarong or robe. It can also be unwrapped and used like a beach/travel blanket, even a travel towel. It can also be rolled up into a soft pillow. The collection is manufactured in Montreal and is available via their website.

A reusable shopping bag

More and more communities around the world are doing away with shopping bags. Don’t be caught unprepared. Anyway, it’s better for the environment, takes up almost no space and comes in ultra handy in the event you pick up more souvenirs than you can fit in your suitcase.

>>read more about Traditional Markets in Latin America: A Guide for First Time Shoppers

Writing supplies

A mini note pad and golf pencil will do fine. It’s handy for jotting down directions, making lists of places you want to visit, recording contact information of people you meet along the way, letters home, notes to self…

>>to save space, consider a tablet or an iPad

Read more about:

Photo credits: Shoes by A.K. Photography on Flickr , Diva Cup by cavale on Flickr , Hat by Seamonkey78704 on Flickr , Shopping bag by lululemon athletica on Flickr , Notepad by Szymon Kochanski on Flickr