- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
Safety Travel Articles
We think that too much is made about the “unsafe” nature of travel, but we do believe that it’s important to employ common sense and basic tactics to remain safe on the road and come back in one piece with all your stuff.
- For Women, Staying Home is as Dangerous as Traveling
- It isn't travel that's unsafe for women, it's breathing. Jenn Miller addresses the statistics related to safety for women and children, at home and abroad.
- 8 Tips for the Newbie Hitchhiker
- Ever wanted to try your hand at hitchhiking? Veteran hitchhiker David Joshua Jennings has eight tips to get you on your way.
- Ignore the Myths and Take The Kids to Mexico
- If you follow conventional wisdom, you'll keep yourself (and your kids) far away from "dangerous" Mexico. Rachel Denning reveals that the orthodoxy is nothing more than urban legend that should be ignored, resulting in a fabulous family travel adventure.
- Should You Add “Unsafe” Destinations to Your RTW Trip?
- Deciding whether to add ‘unsafe’ destinations to your itinerary or dealing with the situation when a location becomes unsafe mid-trip, Jo Fitzsimons shares her tips for making the most informed decision on whether to visit or steer clear from problem.
- How Not To Get Ripped Off When Using an ATM
- As thieves get more clever, travelers have to get smarter. Jessica Spiegel outlines what to look for before you put your credit or debit card into an unfamiliar bank machine, in case it's been tampered with.
- How to Deal With Street Harassment in Foreign Countries
- For all the women who must tirelessly deal with street harassment, here are eight ways that those living or traveling abroad can deal with unwelcome attention in the street.
- 10 of the Most Dangerous Destinations (& Which Ones Are Worth the Risk)
- From ravaged war zones to narco-trafficking hotbeds, these 10 countries are a selection of those that pose the most danger to travelers. The question is: are they worth the risk?
- Egypt’s Safe for Tourists…Really!
- While European governments were telling their citizens it was ok to travel to Egypt, North American ones weren't. Canadian writer Carmen G. Farrell traveled to Egypt this spring with her husband and school-aged children and had the trip of a lifetime.
- 6 Countries on the US State Dept. Alert and Warning Lists That You Should Visit Anyway
- The US State Department is notoriously over-cautious when it releases travel alerts and travel warnings for countries. Katie Hammel reminds us that we shouldn't take those as gospel and lists 6 places that you should still visit anyway.
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Safety and Security Tips to Know Before You Go
- There's no reason to fear traveling around Sub-Saharan Africa, but it is important to be aware of some of the unique situations and challenges. JoAnna Haugen offers expert advice on how to enjoy your trip safely.