Author: Sean Keener

A Guide to Digital Nomad Services, Love to Istanbul, Gap Years for Every Student, and Central Europe: What to See

This week on Bootsnall we’re talking about destinations in Central and Eastern Europe, and how travel doesn’t have to be separated from other life goals. Living abroad or traveling round-the-world on a Gap Year or a Remote Year offer a chance to move forward with your education and career goals without giving up your wanderlust. Jean Ciolli explains some ways to take your work on the road with Digital Nomad Services (use your free time to see the world, not source good wifi in each destination) and Jenn Miller explains why Gap Years are good for students, and how to make the most of them. James Pham expresses his abiding love for Istanbul and why we should love it, too, and finally Jenn Molholt gives her best practical advice and destination tips for Central Europe.
Read on to catch up on what you missed!

Travel, Work, & Live in the World: 10 Companies Who Make it Easy

digitalnomadthumbnail
Want to know more about the Digital Nomad services that seem to be popping up around the globe? Jean Ciolli fills us in on what’s out there already and what’s coming soon.
“Do you dream of seeing the world without quitting your job? You’re not alone. Today there are jobs you can do anywhere from Zanzibar to Zurich, from Buenos Aires to Borneo. All you need is a computer and an internet connection (and your passport). International and round-the-world travel has never been more accessible to more people than it is today. ”

Istanbul, A Love Letter to the Turkish Capital

Istanbul Sunset
In this love letter to the Turkish metropolis, James Pham highlights a few of the reasons why Istanbul should still be at the top of your bucket list.
“I love that some squares pipe classical music while a block away, European techno blares. I love that being with you is like walking in a fairy-tale land where graceful domed mosques with soaring minarets and half domes vie for their piece of the sky. I love how big things come in packages big and small here. There’s Hagia Sophia, once the greatest church in Eastern Christendom, then the chief mosque of the Ottoman Empire and finally a museum and then there are the smaller “big” things like the tucked away Rustem Pasha Mosque with its every-shade-of-blue tiles.”

Gap Years for Every Student: How to Make the Most of the Opportunity

gap year books in suitcase
Jenn Miller discusses why students (and their parents) should consider a gap year between high school and college, and not just how to make it happen, but how to make the most of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
“Traditionally, Gap Years have been perceived as the domain of the privileged children of wealthy families. While statistics indicate that 18% of students taking a Gap Year come from families with an income of more than $200K a year, 19% came from families with incomes between $50-100K annually . What does that mean? That the value of a Gap Year is widely recognized across the socio-economic spectrum and even families in the lower to middle income brackets are investing in the experience for the educational benefit of their students.”

Central Europe: What to see + Easy Tips for Safety & Comfort

Fisherman's Bastion, Budapest
Jenn Molholt shows us the ropes on a trip around Central Europe: from where to go to how to get there safe and sound, Jenn’s got all the information we need.
“In Poland, Hungary, and the Czech Republic, you’re required to present identification (your passport) when requested by law enforcement. Always keep your passport and money tucked underneath your clothing, preferably on your front side. Avoid putting away valuables in public places where pickpockets may be watching. I’ve had friends get pickpocketed after carefully putting their wallets in the very bottom of their backpack while standing in a metro station. Keep a copy of your passport information page and a copy of your credit cards somewhere safe and away from your passport – tucked into the lining of your luggage, for example. This will help you replace your passport and cancel your credit cards if they’re lost or stolen.”
Photo Credits: Shutterstock.com, Mooshny / shutterstock.com, Kanuman /shutterstock.com, Vuk Vukmirovic /shutterstock.com, NavinTar