Author: Sean Keener

Chris Guillebeau: Portland's Meet, Plan, Go Keynote Speaker

There are only 5 more days to go until an event that could – quite literally – change your life.

We’re a short five days away from the national Meet, Plan, Go! event on October 18th, which will debut in Portland this year, and BootsnAll is excited to be a part of it. We’re excited to talk to other people in Portland who have taken the career break leap, and the many more who are contemplating it. We want you to be inspired, but more than that we want to give you practical tips and tools you can use to turn that inspiration into a to-do list you start working on the very next day.

We’re sure every city hosting a Meet, Plan, Go! event this year has a great panel of speakers lined up, but in Portland we’re particularly happy to have Chris Guillebeau as our keynote speaker. Chris’ book “The Art of Non-Conformity” and the World Domination Summit he organized in Portland in 2011 have inspired countless people to make meaningful changes in their lives, and for some that includes travel.
At a recent Portland meet-up, we met a woman who attended the World Domination Summit and was so moved to take a career break that she’s now working toward that goal – and this is someone who has never had a passport in her life.
In other words, Chris Guillebeau will motivate you to not just dream but to get stuff done.
Other Portland panelists include Laura and Russ of Path Less Pedaled, who have traveled more than 12,000 miles by bike since 2009; Kim and Brian of So Many Places, who are in the midst of planning for their big trip that begins next year; and BootsnAll‘s own Olivia, who spent a year traveling the world solo before coming to work for us.
Between these awesome speakers and the 50+ people who have already signed up to be at The Cleaners on October 18th, we’re confident the energy in the room is going to be palpable. And with all those smartphones Portlanders have, we wouldn’t be surprised if someone booked a plane ticket during the event.
It’s a simple question – have you ever dreamed of taking a break from your job to travel the world?
If you have, you are our people – and we’d love to see you on October 18th.
Come bask in the travel energy with us!

Meet, Plan, Go! Portland Details:

  • Date: Tuesday, October 18
  • Time: Doors open at 6pm; speakers begin at 6:30pm
  • Where: The Cleaners at the Ace Hotel, 1022 SW Stark Street
  • Ticket Info: Buy your ticket in advance, or prepare to pay $15 (cash only!) at the door [advance ticket purchases strongly encouraged, as we may run out of room]
  • Getting There: If you’re driving to the Ace Hotel, there’s on-street parking or a Smart Park garage on SW 10th St between SW Yamhill & SW Morrison. If you’re taking the MAX or Streetcar, the Ace is 3 blocks north of the SW 10th Blue/Red line station and directly across the street from the 10th & Stark Streetcar stop.
  • This Isn’t Dinner: There will be some time for mingling before and after the speakers, just note that we won’t be serving food or drinks. The focus is on sharing information and making connections – and there will be time for noshing and sipping at the after-party…
  • After-Party Info: Okay, so there isn’t an official after-party… But if the mood is such that you just don’t want to stop talking about traveling, we’re happy to move the whole soiree to another space nearby!