- When do you leave?
- How long do you plan to be away?
- How much have you saved?
- How old are you?
- Where do you live now?
- Is this job one that you actually like, or are you only doing it to pay for the trip?
- Have you traveled around the world before?
- What is the route you plan to take/places you plan to visit?
- Why did you decide to take this trip? What got you into this type of travel, and/or influenced you to go?
- What is your biggest fear about this trip?
- Are your family, friends, co-workers, etc., supportive of you? What is their opinion of your going around the world?
- How much planning and preparing have you done?
- What are you packing? What do you consider your most indispensable item(s)?
- How do you think your round-the-world trip will change your life? How do you think it will affect and change you as a person?
- If you had to sum up your thoughts/feelings about your round-the-world trip in one sentence, what would it be?
- Why do you think people should go on round-the-world trips? Why not just take a regular old one- or two-week vacation instead?
- What is the biggest myth that people have about round-the-world traveling?
- Why do you like to travel?
- What is your advice for people planning their own RTW trip?
I’ll come back if they’ll have me
I’m starting in India with some friends, it’ll be monsoon season, but that’s where they wanted to go! I’ll be there with them for a month, and once they leave I head over for an overland safari through South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, and Mozambique…then back to India, making my way up to Nepal for a trek on the Annapurna Circuit…meet up with another friend to wing it through more of India and Asia…solo again for Australia and NZ…then South America?
I have always loved travelling, and it’s just the right time for me to fulfill my dream!
The legs when I’m alone…the unknown is botht the most thrilling and the most scary aspect of the trip.
People have been incredible! They’re all a bit worried, especially my family, but I have gotten great support.
Winged it a lot
8 weeks to go and I’m still not sure. I figure I can get anything I forget along the way. I don’t want to buy any new gear…but I am excited to test out my Keens!
It already has changed it in many ways…for the first time in my life I’m not thinking about the distant future. I know so much will change, that there is no point in thinking about waht’s next.
I have never been more excited or scared (in a good way) in my life, fulfilling this dream come true!
“Your path dictated
Known life conformed and secure
Choose freedom, travel.”
-People kept asking me why I had to do a big trip, why my summers off wasn’t enough. I went for a run awhile back, and this haiku (I know, random) came to mind.
You need tons of money…at least I hope it’s a myth.
There is nothing better than meeting people from different cultures, including the travel culture. Sharing experiences and new perspectives on life.
Just do it! Ten years from now you aren’t going to say, “Why did I leave that comfy job and small apartment?”… but you very well might say, “Why didn’t I take that trip of a lifetime?”