- When do you leave?
- How long do you plan to be away?
- How much have you saved?
- How old are you?
- Where do you live now?
- Is this job one that you actually like, or are you only doing it to pay for the trip?
- Have you traveled around the world before?
- What is the route you plan to take/places you plan to visit?
- Why did you decide to take this trip? What got you into this type of travel, and/or influenced you to go?
- What is your biggest fear about this trip?
- Are your family, friends, co-workers, etc., supportive of you? What is their opinion of your going around the world?
- How much planning and preparing have you done?
- What are you packing? What do you consider your most indispensable item(s)?
- How do you think your round-the-world trip will change your life? How do you think it will affect and change you as a person?
- If you had to sum up your thoughts/feelings about your round-the-world trip in one sentence, what would it be?
- Why do you think people should go on round-the-world trips? Why not just take a regular old one- or two-week vacation instead?
- What is the biggest myth that people have about round-the-world traveling?
- Why do you like to travel?
- What is your advice for people planning their own RTW trip?
Portland, OR, USA
It’s my career
Mexico, Central America (Honduras, Guatemala), South America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile), Tahiti, Easter Island, New Zealand, Australia (North), Asia (Indonesien, Borneo, Singapore, China, India), Africa (Capetown, Namibia)
My US work visa expires and instead having to face a difficult move back to Germany with the constant comparisons of my life here versus there, I decided to fullfill a childhood dream and travel before moving back. This way, I have enough distance to both places and won’t constantly compare one with the other for living. *My travel funds will come from selling most of my personal belongings (and car) prior my departure. My brother is a world traveller and great source of information and infuence.
Getting seriously ill or insured.
Absolutely! Most of them wish they could do the same.
One backpack full of necessary items and I’ll put a box with “replacement stuff” at a friends house to ship or to bring for those that visit me along the route. Bought a 1-person tent as backup and might take my mosquito net. Most indispensable item will probably be my credit card.
Not sure, if any. I travelled a lot already and due to serious illness changed into an different person over the past 15 years. I just want to it as long as I’m young and healthy enough.
Many others have done that before me’ so I can do it too.
The one can not be compared to the other. Going on RTW is work and requires a lot of courage and the willingness to change. A 1-2 week vacation will seldom leave much of a lasting impression, but a trip around the world will most likely change the travellers life.
That they can’t do it because it’s too expensive. That they have to wait until the kids grow up. That they would not know what to do with the dog…
So I don’t have to go back to Germany so soon and because I’m burned out after working for 20 straight years in Corporate Environment.
Just do it.