• Home >
  • RTW  >
Author: Sean Keener

Colleen Banto – Round-the-World Traveler

  1. When do you leave?
    February 2007

  2. How long do you plan to be away?
    1-6 Months

  3. How much have you saved?
    5000 CAD

  4. How old are you?
    25

  5. Nationality
    Canada

  6. Where do you live now?
    Ontario, Canada

  7. Occupation
    dancer

  8. Is this job one that you actually like, or are you only doing it to pay for the trip?
    One more paycheck and I’m gone

  9. Have you traveled around the world before?
    No

  10. What is the route you plan to take/places you plan to visit?
    South east asia- rough idea is…
    Thailand
    Cambodia
    Laos
    Vietnam
    and all the little places in between!!!

  11. Why did you decide to take this trip? What got you into this type of travel, and/or influenced you to go?
    I believe i am calling it a quarterlife crisis!!!

  12. What is your biggest fear about this trip?
    That I wont want to come back, besides that, not a damn thing.

  13. Are your family, friends, co-workers, etc., supportive of you? What is their opinion of your going around the world?
    Most have been supposrtive, however a few have not been. My immediate family is all for it, and know I can do it. My boyfriend of 8 years, yes that’s right 8 years!!! is not crazy about it, but this is kind of my awakening to him, shit or get off the pot…I’m not getting any younger, I want to start a family and get married. Maybe when I’m gone, (for three months!) he will realize how much he wants to spend the rest of his life with me, and he will shit or get off the pot! LOL

  14. How much planning and preparing have you done?
    Planning is for tourists

  15. What are you packing? What do you consider your most indispensable item(s)?
    My laptop, my IPOD, and my Digi cam.
    You can always buy clothes when you are away!!!

  16. How do you think your round-the-world trip will change your life? How do you think it will affect and change you as a person?
    I can only imagine, thats why I am so eager to explore.

  17. If you had to sum up your thoughts/feelings about your round-the-world trip in one sentence, what would it be?
    I know this trip will make me more responsible and mature and give me that life experience that I need. Really now though, what the hell am I thinking? I ponder this question on a daily basis. I can barely remember to brush my teeth every morning let alone be able to remember everything while travelling halfway around the world solo.

  18. Why do you think people should go on round-the-world trips? Why not just take a regular old one- or two-week vacation instead?
    I know this trip will make me more responsible and mature and give me that life experience that I need.

  19. What is the biggest myth that people have about round-the-world traveling?
    YOU ARE GONNA GET KILLED, you are not supposed to venture off the beaten path, well atleast thats what they tell you at the swank 5 star resorts! LOL naive naive naive, they have no clue what they are missing.

  20. Why do you like to travel?
    Freedom, experiencing new cultures first hand, and I love the beaches!!! Sunsets and surises are stellar as well!

  21. What is your advice for people planning their own RTW trip?
    go with it, have fun. Live with no regrets.