Author: Sean Keener

Singapore, Singapore

Southeast Asia: Round-the-World Travel Destinations

Budget Scale: 1-5

1-least expensive; 5-most expensive
3– Singapore can be an extremely expensive city depending on how you travel, but you can get by not spending a ton. Compared to other major cities in Southeast Asia; however, Singapore is much pricier.

Indie Travel Scale: 1-5

1-not a good Indie Travel destination; 5-a great Indie Travel destination
3– If you can avoid tours and the most touristy areas of Singapore, you can get off the beaten path and have a good indie experience.
Indie Travel Tips
One of the best parts about trying to have an indie experience in Singapore is that it shouldn’t cost much. Part of experiencing the less touristy aspects of the city is simply wandering around its various markets and neighborhoods, which costs nothing.

  • There are plenty of great hostels and budget accommodations in Singapore, so don’t fall prey to the high priced hotels that dominate the city.
  • One thing you can do cheaply in Singapore is eat, and it will provide you with great indie travel memories. Wander around the various markets or pop in a street stall to sample some amazing, local cuisine.
  • Get in touch with a local via sites like Couchsurfing and Tripping and have him or her take show you where the locals go.
  • Take the Canopy Walk at McRitchie Reservoir to rub elbows with a lot of locals.

Why you should add Singapore to your RTW travel list

  • It’s the perfect introduction to SE Asia – western enough to not overwhelm but still with plenty of culture shock.
  • The modern SE Asia is here to serve you
  • The tropical climate, sound of Chinese traders and sweet aroma of Indian food gives it away: You’re in Singapore
  • Singapore. SE Asia as seen in the 21st century
  • Raffles Hotel, Arab Street, Little India, Chinatown, Jurong – Can you say “diversity”?
  • Singapore: Probably the best place to eat in Asia

Why you should not add Singapore to your RTW travel list

  • Compared to the rest of Southeast Asia, it’s really expensive.
  • They have some pretty ridiculous laws, so pay attention.
  • Singapore can get really crowded and busy in many areas.

Are you heading to Singapore? What do you need to do?

Back to RTW Travel Destinations
Africa Asia
New Zealand, Australasia, South Pacific
Central America
Europe
Middle East
North America
South America
Photo credit: 1