- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
Transformational Stories Travel Articles
One of the reasons we love indie travel is because it changes us. It opens our eyes to a larger world, it teaches us about other people and cultures, and it transforms us into the people we are now. If you are an indie traveler, you no doubt have one (or many) transformational travel experiences to share – come read about how travel has transformed these people. If long-term independent travel changed you, share your story with us.
- Searching for Summer
- When all other options have been exhausted, Jenni takes a troubled teen to India in an effort to help her get out of her own way and discover who her own best self is.
- Travel Breeds Self-Confidence
- Yamuna Matheswaran finds that essential, elusive ingredient that she has been searching for, when she follows through on an impulsive decision to backpack through Spain.
- How Volunteering Changed Me
- While many travelers to Thailand go to find beautiful beaches and energetic nightlife, Jessica Festa heads to the hills of Chiang Rai to save a village, and find herself.
- Downsizing Your Life
- How many 'things' do you really need? Meet Jody Hanson, a freelance writer and and editor who can pack all her worldly possessions into one suitcase, a carry-on and a diaper bag.
- The Aimless Twenty-Something Life: A Postgrad’s Tale of Travel & Taking Control
- Forget a career break -- what if your career hasn't even started? Michael Fraiman writes about the primal decision facing every aimless twentysomething graduate: jump-start your career or run away?
- The 109th Country
- On a 2nd class train from Bulgaria to Serbia, William Blomstedt is surprised to meet a 82 year old man from Georgia, USA traveling by himself. Little did he realize that this encounter would change the course of his trip.
- Moving to Canada
- Jennifer Hough and her partner traded in their jobs in Ireland and moved to Toronto, but not before spending two glorious months crossing the great continent. Be inspired by their journey.
- How a Career Break Can Change Your Life
- People take career break trips for all different reasons. Adam Seper tells his story of how his career break gave him the confidence to go down a career path that he didn't know was a possibility.
- From Italy to China: A Leap of Faith in the Mouth of the Dragon
- For Marco Ferrarese, trading a life in Italy for a punk rock musical dream in the USA was the start of an unpredictable back route to a new beginning in exotic Asia.
- On Their Own Turf: How My Students Became My Teachers in France
- When Sara Whitestone travels to France, she finds herself in a unique role reversal, becoming the student of those she once taught.