Author: Jennifer Sutherland-Miller

A Dozen Reasons Why

Ask a dozen people why they travel, and you’ll get a dozen different answers.

That’s what I’ve learned this spring, asking hundreds of travelers about their big, motivating, “Why?”

Some travel to escape. Some travel to find. Others travel to reinvent. A few just go because they can, and “why not?” is enough for them. Some set off with one why and return home with another. I find that especially fascinating.

This week, I’m bringing you another dozen reasons why people travel, but really, I’d like to know yours:

Why do you travel?

Karin-Marijke Vis of Land Cruising Adventure: “I left the Netherlands 10 years ago to escape the rat race and to get rid of my life, so to speak. Not because I wanted to travel per se, but getting away from it all was an easy solution. I became addicted to travel the moment I hit the road (with my partner in an antique Land Cruiser).”

“To no longer be attached to a society with its (unspoken) rules and norms that you have to obey in order to be able to function properly… oh! what a freedom. Just to live my life the way we want to, every single day, it is truly a free life.”

Aleah Phils of Solitary Wanderer: “I was three when I first started traveling with my mother. Whenever she woke me up in the middle of the night, I’d get so excited, knowing that we were going somewhere special. Since then, I have always loved traveling because I associate travel with my mother’s love and the excitement of going somewhere new. The destination didn’t (and still doesn’t) matter at all; it’s the act itself of getting on a bus, a plane, or a train that gets me going.”

The destination didn’t (and still doesn’t) matter at all; it’s the act itself of getting on a bus, a plane, or a train that gets me going.

Stephanie Raley of Pearls and Passports: “I travel to experience new things everyday, to learn about how people live all around the world, and to become independent. I love waking up in a different place or country and not knowing where the day will take me. It’s the ultimate freedom.”

Louise Lakier of Home In Home Away: “I travel to satisfy my need to explore, discover, grow and delight in spontaneous and serendipitous connections with people from all walks of life. As a photographer and storyteller I travel to capture the diverse wonders of nature and experience firsthand a variety of lifestyles.”

Rba Wahab of Ramble and Wander: “Why I travel? It’s in the blood. Growing up, my siblings and I would get postcards from our dad who was traveling overseas from time to time for work. Those postcards were my first windows to the world. They inspired me to dream to one day travel the world, too. Then I had the opportunity to study abroad in the UK, where I joined a few school trips exploring the country and Europe. It wasn’t long before I set out on solo trips in and around Europe. Haven’t really stopped traveling ever since. There’s so much more places to explore!”

Leigh Shulman of The Future is Red: “Because I love seeing things I’ve never seen before.”

I travel to show my son the world is bigger than he; that people are as unique as the stars, and he should become a part of that universe now to better take care of it, later.

Jeremy Jones of Living the Dream: “Because it’s there.”

Noel Morata of Travel Photo Discovery: “I travel to see the historical wonders of the world and take my camera to capture those amazing vistas, cultures, food and people who live there.” 

Erin Kirkland of AK on the Go: “I travel to show my son the world is bigger than he; that people are as unique as the stars, and he should become a part of that universe now to better take care of it, later.”

Mig Pascual of Curious Nomad: “I travel for the adventure, to learn about other cultures, and volunteer abroad. I believe that everyone can make a difference while traveling.”

The truth is that each trip, long or short, near or far, is an opportunity for perspective, inspiration, learning, recharging and global citizenship.

Elena Sonnino of Live Do Grow: “I travel for the opportunity. The truth is that each trip, long or short, near or far, is an opportunity for perspective, inspiration, learning, recharging and global citizenship. Even on that, ‘I just need a change of scenery’ road trip, there are opportunities….we just need to be open to the possibilities.”

Charli Moore of Wanderlusters: “I travel perpetually because I have found it is one of the few activities that feeds my desire for understanding. When I had a 9 to 5 and a daily routine, I felt lost, a tiny cog in an impersonal machine. Each time I travel to a new location, I feel as though I am finding out a little more about the person I am, understanding a little more about the world, and enriching my soul with each new experience I have.”

So tell us – Why do you travel?

Read more about finding your why:

manifesto - seeing yourself in a complex world

Photo credits: joiseyshowaa