Author: Zac Grace

A Guide to Fraser Island, Australia

Fraser Island, located on the southern coast of Queensland, is the fourth largest island in Australia. It is considered the largest sand island in the world. The island consists of a spectacular array of landscapes, including long surf beaches, colorful cliffs and gorges, sparkling white sand, lush rainforests, and freshwater lakes. Millions of people visit Fraser Island each year, making it a popular holiday destination.

History of the Island

Fraser Island encompasses vast cultural and natural heritage. The Aboriginal name for Fraser Island means paradise. The island was occupied by the Aborigines, who lived by themselves for thousands of years. They survived off of fish, fruits, and an abundant supply of fresh water.

Most people believe that Captain James Cook discovered the island in the late 1700s while he was sailing around the continents. The island was finally named in 1836. It is named after Eliza Fraser, who was the wife of Captain James Fraser. Captain Fraser was murdered after his shipped wrecked. Eliza survived the shipwreck and found her way to the island, where she was cared for by the Aborigines and then rescued two months later.

Weather

The weather on Fraser Island is outstanding year-round. The average temperature in the summer is 84, and the average temperature in the winter is 71. It is a perfect location to enjoy outdoor activities.

Getting to Fraser Island

The best way to get to Fraser Island is through Hervey Bay. You can then obtain a small vehicle barge from Urangan harbor over to the island, which takes about 30 minutes. There is an airport in Hervey Bay, and you can get great deals on flights.

You can also get to Fraser Island by taking a flight to Brisbane and driving 3 ½ hours to Rainbow beach. From there you can get a vehicle barge from Inskip Point, then on to Frasier Island.

In order to camp and go onto the island, you will need a permit, which can be obtained when you purchase your barge ticket.

The best time to visit Fraser Island is in the summer months. The recommended months to visit are October, November, or February. There are many flies around the island in March, so most people avoid visiting during that time.

Getting Around Frasier Island

In order to get around the island, you really should rent a four wheel drive vehicle. Most people hire a 4WD, which is available from Rainbow Beach. The most difficult parts of the island to drive are in the rainforests. You will need to go slow, but it is much easier when you get to the beach.

Be wary of the tide, which can leave you stranded. When it comes up, then there is no beach left to drive on.

Attractions and things to do on Fraser Island

One of the most popular attractions on the island is the Maheno shipwreck. The Maheno was a luxury passenger ship which was built in 1905 in Scotland. It was caught in a cyclone in 1935 while being towed from Melbourne. After a few days, it finally made it to the shores of Fraser Island.

One of the most relaxing ways to enjoy the island is to take a guided tour. There are guides who offer tours on foot, four wheel drive, boat, plane or helicopter. You can just sit back and enjoy the sights and sounds of Fraser Island.

While on Fraser Island, you can view the spectacular wildlife. You can take a canoe tour and see the spot raptors and stingrays, or you can go on a guided walk, where you can see all of the amazing species of birds. While sailing, you can glide next to dugong, turtles, dolphins, and sharks. Between August and October, humpback whales will be migrating. There are also kangaroos, wallabies, possums, flying foxes, and dingo on the island.

The most popular area of the island for scenery is The Central Station, which is in the heart of the rainforest. There is a picnic area and a scenic boardwalk through the region.

On Fraser Island, you can also see the Sandy Cape lighthouse, which was built in 1970 and is located on the northern part of the island.

Fraser Island offers excellent fishing experiences. There are a variety of fish in the waters of the island. You can fish right off the beaches; dawn or dusk is normally the best time to cash fish. You can also take a fishing tour, which explores the waters of Fraser Island. Between July and October, the island has the “tailor run” that provides fisherman with enormous schools of huge fish.

Water sports are popular on the island. There are fresh lakes, which are ideal for swimming. You can also rent canoes or paddle skis, so you can explore the lakes.

Accommodations

There are all kinds of places in Fraser Island to stay. You can stay in resorts, hotels, or villas. Or you can sleep under the stars on the beaches of the island.

If you choose to camp on the beach, there are designated areas where you can stay. However, there are no facilities in the camping spots. You will need to bring mosquito repellent because the bugs can be annoying.

There are also campsites at Central Railway, which is in the rainforest. These accommodations have excellent toilets and showers.

If camping is not for you, there are also many quality hotels, resorts, and bed and breakfasts hotels on the island. There are also beach houses that have breath-taking ocean views.

You will feel like you are in paradise when you visit Fraser Island. Nothing can compare to its beautiful scenery and natural beauty. You will have treasured memories that will last a lifetime.

Zac is a professional SEO consultant, passionate blogger and a travel freak. When he is not working for clients or his own sites he loves to travel and write about it. one of his recent travel projects includes Australia Travel Blog.

Photos by: 1, 2, 3