Author: Hanne Inman

Bali and Beyond

My favorite day is Sunday: that is when the Los Angeles Times Travel section is delivered. Apart from this one source, I currently subscribe to every travel magazine and receive direct e-mails from every airline touting their current specials. I even belong to an air courier outfit. Travel is in my blood.

I happened to be scanning the paper on one particular Sunday, when I came across a very unusual ad. China Airlines was advertising their 40th anniversary; the offer stated that if you were born in 1959, you could travel anywhere they flew, for $195.00 roundtrip! So, not only was I skeptical, I thought this was a misprint. I started by calling immediately (obviously it was Sunday, so no answer), so I started calling first thing Monday morning.

Yes, they said, it was true, but you had to come down in person, with cash, to schedule it.

Off I went, all the way to their offices near LAX. They curtly issued my tickets, and the trip was on.

I chose Bali because it was the farthest place China Airlines flew. All my friends laughed at me, saying I would probably go as cargo, or get the potty seat. Standing room, anyone?

Departure day finally arrived and, to my surprise, I actually had a real seat – and they even let me choose where I wanted to sit! I chose the emergency aisle (more leg room).

Overall, it was a long but enjoyable trip. I was awakened at 3 a.m. for a "snack." Let me tell you, the dinner bell rings and I am there, my tray lowered and sugar plums dancing in my head. The other passengers were positively dancing in their seats at the sight of the "snack" chopsticks flying through the air and descending into a large cup of… Top Ramen.

Well, needless to say, I replaced my tray. Out came chips and cookies from my backpack (I always carry backup); no problem, I could make it to breakfast. I soon fell asleep to the clatter of chopsticks.

Breakfast, and again I jumped in anticipation. "Western or Oriental breakfast?" the attendant asked. I looked over to my neighbor (a small, very nice Asian man), and observed that his Oriental breakfast looked and smelled like fish heads. I quickly ordered the Western breakfast. Needless to say, I had no breakfast that day.

Upon arrival to Taipei, I found toilet paper vending machines, and an odor I could identify only by the black fungus growing inside the airport walls; no matter, though: I was off to Bali.

Bali is great. The hotel caters to your every whim. I ordered Balinese chicken every night and received something different every time. (They had picture menus. It was fun matching the food to the pictures).

The first night I had a foot-long gecko join me for the evening. I called the front desk, and three men with brooms and Raid appeared. The gecko got away. I kept the Raid.

I hired a driver (when my hotel forgot to pick me up at the airport – part of their service to you). And we had a blast. His one cryptic message was "Watch out for the naughty monkeys." Which proved to be something he repeated over and over, as we went to many different monkey-populated areas. Thing to remember about monkeys:

  • They like shiny things.
  • They take shiny things.
  • They jump, bite, scratch.
  • They growl when up close.
  • They can sniff food through clothes and take it.

Watch out for the naughty monkeys.

I had a great time in Bali. Monkeys and Shaman will rip you off; locals are nice and helpful. Geckos also live in trees. And Komodo dragons are disgusting creatures.

Go to Bali, though, and have fun.