Author: Rich Gonzalez

Five Great Florida Trip Spots

There are a wide range of places to go in Florida.  This peninsula that stretches out from the Continental US is both a water paradise as well as a retreat for those seeking refuge from snow laced winters.  Whether you visit the world’s famous mouse or drink from the Fountain of Youth, Florida is home to some of the most desirable locations anywhere in the world.  Below is a list of just some of the many places worth visiting.

Key West

Just looking at the commercials and there really is nothing more that needs to be said!  The Island lifestyle is soaked in the culture of the Conch Republic.  Whether you’re trolling for sailfish or enjoying the live street shows at Mallory Square, Key West allows you to absorb the Caribbean influences.  Other famous spots in Key West include Sloppy Joes, which makes reference to one of many famous residents, Ernest Hemmingway, and Hog’s Breath; along with local favorites such as the Schooner Wharf Bar where local bands come and entertain the patrons.  At night, you can actually see the lights of Havana, Cuba glowing in the distance – about 90 miles in the distance.

Walt Disney World

disneyI have always been fascinated with this place.  Its sheer size is enough to warrant its own water supply.

More and more parks are popping up all over the area known as Kissimmee, but some still remain the same.  The Magic Kingdom still has some of the original rides that they had when the park first opened.

If the magical feel of the parks are enough to make your heart sing – take a look at your children when they come in contact with any number of the characters that roam around the parks.  This is the number one place for a family vacation in Florida.

Check out these indie travel tips for visiting Orlando.

St. Augustine

This might not seem like too much of a touristy place – and maybe that’s why it’s a perfect retreat.  Not only is it the oldest city in America, St. Augustine has some really beautiful beaches and a nice board walk feel that runs along the Gulf Coast.  Restaurants and small little shops line up the streets enticing you to come on and just relax.  The Fountain of Youth National Archeological Park has a replica of the Fountain of Youth.  It’s not “the” Fountain, but it’s a nice replica that was built back in 1904 to commemorate the spot where Juan Ponce de Leon was traditionally said to have landed.

Naples

Located about 125 miles from Miami is Naples Florida and one of the best places to escape the mainstream influx that typically flock to the east coast of Florida.  A nice relaxing day at the beach where the warm jets of the Gulf Coast make the water as enticing as a warm bath..  The pace of life here isn’t as fast and bustling as say Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, but what it lacks in nightlife appeal, it more then makes up for in providing a hang-over prescription to the typically crowded clubs on the east coast.  If you’re looking for a nice romantic getaway that offers good restaurants and an over abundance of nice hotels offering packages to pamper you, Naples is hard to beat.

Miami

Just the sound of the word conjures up images of neon lights and never ending parties.  Spring breakers have made this their destination for some time, and although it has lost a little of that appeal (most spring breakers typically escape to other destinations), it still holds on to the distinction of knowing how to cut loose.  With the shores of the Atlantic Ocean acting as the back drop, Miami has continued to attract the most beautiful people in the world.  Having had just hosted the Super Bowl, the city of Miami thrives on its cultural influences and flavors.

Florida seems to be a great destination regardless of the reason for taking a vacation.  Many more places in this wonderful state has hidden gems just waiting to be explored.

Photos by Mastery of Maps