Author: Sam Ross

Honeymoon Travel Guide to Costa Rica

The moment you step into Costa Rica, you’ll understand why it’s considered one of the world’s top honeymoon destinations. Here, you could spend weeks enjoying the scenery and exploring hidden wonders.

For honeymooners looking for the perfect vacation spot, Costa Rica is the dream destination of a lifetime. Enjoy romantic sunsets, try thrilling activities, and bask in the beauty and magic of Costa Rica.

Photo by Zachary Shea on Unsplash

Photo by Zachary Shea on Unsplash

Must know before visiting Costa Rica

  • Entry Requirements: Valid passport with at least one blank page
  • Language: Spanish, limited English
  • Currency: Costa Rican Colón (CRC)
  • Exchange rate: 1 USD = 563 CRC
  • Local transportation: Rental car, taxi, and bus
  • Budgeting: Around $750 to $2,500 per person for a week-long stay

When to visit Costa Rica:

It’s best to visit during the dry season, specifically from December to April, since the rest of the year is often rainy.

Best length of stay:

Thanks to Costa Rica’s massive expanse of natural wonders, you’ll need more than just a weekend to experience the beauty of Costa Rica fully. Many recommend staying at least 10-12 days, especially if you want a relaxed, laid-back honeymoon.

Planning your arrival:

Most flights will take you to San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica. San Jose flights land at the Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO). Another option is to touch down in Liberia’s Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport (LIR) in Liberia. Be sure to book your flight months in advance to find cheaper tickets.
After landing, take the airport shuttle, bus, or taxi to your hotel.

Where to stay in Costa Rica

Costa Rica is famous as a honeymoon capital, and it’s partly because the hotels and suites are perfect for newlyweds on their honeymoon. Couples on a budget can even opt for a hostel without sacrificing their comfort – accommodations here are just that great.

Best Costa Rica honeymoon resorts
Budget hotels
Honeymoon-worthy hostels

What to do while in Costa Rica

For thrill-seekers:

Try the Zip-line Canopy Tour at Selvatura Park

Head to Selvatura Park to try the country’s most exhilarating zip-line experience. Over a span of 3 hours, you’ll fly over a vast cloud forest via 18 platforms and 15 cables. At the end of your flight, you can even take a shot at the Tarzan Swing! This final thrill for adrenaline junkies consists of a swing suspended from one of the highest branches in the canopy. Launch yourself from the platform and fall briefly before swooping majestically down to the rope handlers waiting far below.

Raft the rapids at Pacuare River.

Considered one of the best rivers for whitewater rafting, this is a definite must-try while in Costa Rica. Have a blast zipping through gorgeous waterfalls, giant boulders, the magnificent jungle scenery, and tons of wildlife. It may seem scary, but then again, when else will you have the chance to do something like this?

Hike in the clouds.

The Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve is a popular spot for hiking enthusiasts and beginners alike. Hit the trails in the morning to start the day with a memorable walk and spectacular views.

Learn to surf

Costa Rica waves are world-famous, so don’t miss out on the chance to learn from the best. Hit the beach and take a shot at conquering the waves (preferably with an instructor).

Visit an active volcano

At Arenal National Park, you’ll find the Arenal Volcano, an active volcano that’s been spewing lava for 50 years now. In the day, you’ll see it emitting smoke, and at night, you’ll be mesmerized by the fiery-red lava pouring down its sides. The park is totally safe to visit and even has hiking trails you can explore.

Walk among treetops

As the first aerial walkway in Central America, The Rainmaker Aerial Walkway is a must-visit. It towers 20 stories above land, providing a spectacular view that can’t be missed.

For laid-back honeymooners:

Relax by the beach

Costa Rica is renowned for its romantic beaches where you can watch the dazzling sunset, take long walks on the beach, go snorkeling, kayaking, and so much more.
Here are some of the most well-loved beaches in Costa Rica:

– Punta Uva Beach
– Conchal Beach
– Manuel Antonio Beach
– Puerto Viejo Beach
– Playa Montezuma
– Playa Samara

Visit the Corcovado National Park

Considered one of the most biologically-rich jungles in the world, the Corcovado National Park is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see rare species of wildlife and witness the beauty of biodiversity up close.
The park is comprised of 100,000 acres full of birds, mammals, bats, trees, plants, insects, reptiles, and amphibians. Visiting this park would be the hiking experience of a lifetime.

Explore Puerto Viejo

Though it was once a small, quiet town, Puerto Viejo is now a hotspot for tourists as it’s a melting pot of reggae, Caribbean, and indigenous culture. Here, guests can learn to surf, visit turtle nesting sites, and immerse yourself in art and culture.

Swim in waterfall pools and hot springs

Don’t leave Costa Rica without taking a dip in the breathtaking and romantic La Fortuna waterfall in Arenal. Afterward, relax at the hot springs by the foot of the famed Arenal Volcano.
Also, visit the La Paz Waterfall Gardens where you can not only enjoy the scenic waterfalls but also marvel at the hummingbird and butterfly gardens, as well as their variety of wildlife and reptiles.

Shop ’til you drop

Monteverde is the country’s top destination for all kinds of shopping—fashion, retail, craft, and souvenirs. Here, you’ll find the region’s most interesting and vibrant eateries, art galleries, and stores.

Where to eat in Costa Rica

Familiarize yourself with local cuisine and try these 13 essential Costa Rican dishes, including the spicy coconut “Rondon” soup and “cacao fresco,” the fruit of the cacao plant before it’s processed to create chocolate.
If you’re in San Jose, try these great cheap eats.
Want to learn how to eat and drink like a local? This guide goes into the best local dishes and how to make sure you’ve had the authentic food experience in Costa Rica.

Tips from the locals

  • Take caution when it comes to the weather. Regardless of how the sky looks at the start of the day, always carry around ponchos and umbrellas just in case. The weather in Costa Rica is no joke, so be sure to check weather reports before heading out for the day.
  • Locals love talking to tourists. Costa Rica locals, or Ticos, are friendly people by nature, so don’t be scared if they suddenly stop you on the streets to talk to you. If you don’t feel comfortable talking to them, just smile, nod, and move on.
  • Don’t try to drive everywhere. Costa Rica may seem relatively small, but don’t be fooled: traveling by land takes much longer than you think. Costa Rica roads usually only have one lane and trucks tend to cause a lot of traffic.
  • Instead of wasting your time, choose two main destinations and plan day trips. Monteverde and La Fortuna are considered the “adventure gateways.” The two are considerably far apart, so Monteverde is usually the best choice if you only have time for one.
  • Always bring your papers. Costa Rican police are allowed to stop any car and ask for papers. To prevent any trouble, always carry a colored copy of your passport and a photo of your tourist stamp.
  • Be prepared to spend. Costa Rica is one of the pricier countries in Latin America. Necessities such as bottled water can cost more here than in America or the UK. To save some money, dine at small family-owned diners and travel during the rainy season.

Teeming with natural wonders, beautiful landscapes, gorgeous terrains, countless activities, and an abundance of wildlife, Costa Rica is one of a kind. If you decide to visit Costa Rica for your honeymoon or a vacation, the time will end up being the some of the best weeks of your life.