Author: Jennifer Bildersee

New York City, New York – June 2000

Every writer needs a muse. This month, mine was a fiberglass cow.

I admit it: I was about to let June slip by without an update for BootsnAll (as has been my habit in recent months). And then she beckoned me from her perch two stories above my Brooklyn park bench: a fragmented cow clinging to the cinderblock.

And I knew it was my duty to share this joyous bovine with my fellow travelers.

This brave cow is one of hundreds who are surfacing around the five boroughs this month for the (I kid you not) “Cow Parade“. As you explore NYC’s parks and public places, keep your eyes open for members of the traveling herd. (Finally, art that our dear mayor doesn’t consider too controversial).

Of course, New York has more to offer in summertime than just life-sized cow replicas. In fact, in my first five minutes of searching for events of interest, I learned that Sonic Youth, BB King, the Violent Femmes, and Little Richard are all appearing here in June (on the 17, 21-24, 28, and 25-26 respectively). The phrase “something for everyone” seems notably relevant.

Due to the overwhelming quantity of events and performances that flood NYC in the summer, I think my space is best used directing you towards the many available listings, so that you can sort through according to your interests – be they Ellen Degeneres (13/14) or Elvis Costello (6/9).

The most comprehensive, although offensively corporate, site is CitySearch.com. Formerly Sidewalk.com, citysearch is increasingly leaving out the small, free event listings in favor of the click-here-for-$85-tickets variety. Still, the small calendar on the bottom right of the lead page offers a day-by-day listing of a wide variety of events, most with reviews and good logistical info. My inquiry about June 10 brought up 11 pages of events.

One of the highlights of summer city life is the abundance of festivals, many offering free or low-cost events. Some June festivals to look out for:

  • Central Park’s Summerstage kicks off June 13 with the Indigo Girls. Summerstage offers “benefit concerts” (with tix around $30)
    and numerous free musical performances throughout the summer.

  • Celebrate Brooklyn, a new festival of music, dance, film, and the spoken word, opens June 22. Brooklyn (my new home, incidentally) is definitely worth a visit – check out Anita Culp’s new guide.
  • This is the month for jazz enthusiasts, thanks to the Bell Atlantic Jazz Festival from 6/1 to 6/10, and the JVC Jazz Festival from 6/12 to 6/24.
  • The First NYC Hip-Hop Theater Festival opens 6/14 and continues into August, with performances most nights.

    For specific weekly events, I recommend picking up a free Village Voice when you arrive. Voice listings usually cover a wide range of events that are often overlooked in web listings and other publications.

    Finally, one of the biggest events of the summer is NYC Gay and Lesbian Pride 2000. Come out to show your support and your platforms on June 25 at noon. The march heads down 5th Ave from 52nd Street, and the Pridefest fair fills Greenwich Village from 11 am to 10:30 pm.

    Enjoy!

    General Info Section

    New York. The Big Apple. The City That Never Sleeps.

    Home of the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, the Village, Broadway.

    Hundreds of "Gap’s", thousands of suicidal taxi drivers, millions of residents, and – for those of you uninterested in any of the above – infinite places to get a cold beer.

    Pack light: you can buy anything you’ve forgotten at an exorbitant price. Longing for Milo or Vegemite? Try Chinatown. Unable to sleep without your foreign brew? Try Peculiar Pub. Looking for company? Just step outside…

    NYC is comprised of five boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island.

    Most travelers stick to Manhattan, but the more adventurous (and those with a few more days here) will find that exploring the outer boroughs is about as "off-the-beaten-track" as you can get here.

    Whatever your scene may be, you will not be disappointed: museum goers, fine diners, people watchers, tormented writers, sight-seers, all-night clubbers… this is the place.

    Descend into the smoky depths of a no-cover jazz club, retrace the steps of your favorite Seinfeld episode, enjoy lo mein while being serenaded by scantily clad transvestites. Be brave. Blend in. (it’s hard to stand out). And don’t sleep too much… you’ll miss something.

    When you arrive, check out the tourist office in Times Square. Grab a subway map and get oriented. Figure out your priorities, drop off your pack, and set out.

    Helpful NYC Sites

    Try New York CitySearch.com for more mainstream current info.

    There’s always the Village Voice, although picking up an actual copy (free) would be better, because the real scoop is in the ads.

    The "Official" NYC site.

    New York related sites (museums, teams, etc).

    For listings of arts events in the city, try the front of The New Yorker magazine.

    The Author

    As for me, I’ve spent the last 5 years here in Manhattan. I’m originally from Philadelphia.

    Despite my love of NYC, I take every possible opportunity to flee the country. It’s part of a running dilemma I have, choosing between streams/stars and public transport/great used book stores.

    As a warning, I am slightly biased towards places of interest for people watching, hiking, stout beer, and all things chocolate.

    Happy travels!