Author: Ido Feldman

Summer Vacationing in Croatia

The area now known as Croatia was inhabited during the prehistoric period. Neanderthal fossils have been found here that date back to the Paleolithic period. In addition, remnants of Chalcolithic and Neolithic cultures were unearthed all over the country. The most impressive of these remnants can be found today in the area of Krapina.

Later, Croatia found itself hosting settlers from Greek and Rome. The Emperor known as Diocletian had a rather large castle put up in the city of Split, from which he eventually retired in 305 AD. During the 5th century, Julius Nepos ruled his area from this castle following his escape from Italy. Unfortunately, his assassination came only one year later. Later on, as tensions arose in the country of Croatia under political unpleasantries, Croatians eventually declared their independence on June 25, 1991. On July 1, 2013, Croatia was indoctrinated into the EU! For more information on Croatia, visit Tripedia.

Today, Croatia stands as quite the impressive summer vacation spot and should definitely be on your travel bucket list.

Visiting Croatia

If you dream of the Mediterranean, Croatia is the perfect place for you to pay a visit. With especially warm weather in the summer and sapphire shaded waters, this is the ideal place for a summer vacation. Much like Greece and Rome, the country of Croatia is surrounded by ancient walls that once guarded its different regions.

 

Croatia has an extraordinary number of islands awaiting your visit, along with a beautiful coastline that is surpassed by next to none. This island-spotted coastline is the number one attraction that brings in more tourists each year. Apart from the lovely beaches, there are many water-related activities to enjoy here. Go snorkeling or give surfing a try. Cast those fishing poles or take up temporary residence on the beach while you enjoy the sun and the sea breeze.

Dubrovnik – a true Croatian cultural experience

Dubrovnik, the Pearl of the Adriatic, is a historic city in southern Croatia that faces the beautiful Adriatic Sea. This city is well-known both for its history and culture. Dubrovnik is enclosed within 16th century stone walls that are quite impressive, both in structure and size. There are also many well-preserved historical buildings in this area that are worth exploring.

 

From the Baroque St. Blaise Church to the Gothic Rector’s Palace Museum, you won’t find it hard to stay entertained. The pedestrian-friendly Stradun or Placa is paved with limestone which makes the whole street sparkle and shine. This area is lined with top-notch shops and restaurants. Should you choose to check it out, beware that there is much to see and take home with you, so be careful with that wallet!

 

Looking for some exciting nightlife? Dubrovnik, Croatia has you covered. Many of the beaches in this area feature pristine waters, friendly company, and beachside bars. These beachside bars and clubs are the very heartbeat of this happening city. Not only are there bars and a very enticing nightlife, there is also an orchestra, a modern art museum, and additional art galleries, should that be your thing. Visit this cultural hub in the summer if you can and catch the Dubrovnik Summer Festival that fills the streets with music and artists galore.

Dalmatia – a natural paradise

Dalmatia is another of the four historical regions located in Croatia. The others include Croatia proper, Slavonia, and Istria. Dalmatia is located along a narrow belt that sits on the Eastern shore of the Adriatic Sea. It ranges from the island of Rab to the Bay of Kotor in the south. Dalmatia gets its name from an old Illyrian tribe known as the Dalmatae who once resided there.

 

Once you reach Dalmatia, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised at just how much there is to see and do. Don’t be afraid to get lost in Croatia.  For instance, the mountain known as Dinara is located on the border of Herzegovina, Bosnia, and Croatia. There are two major peaks found here: Dinara and Troglav. Dinara happens to be the tallest peak in all of Croatia and interestingly enough – it is shaped like a human head! This is the perfect area to swim, climb, or hike, depending on your preferences.

 

Next, we have the lovely Punta Rata, which is one of the more beautiful protected stone beaches in the world. If you enjoy nature, then you mustn’t look any further for natural beauty. In addition to the lovely beach, Punta Rata is surrounded by a beautiful pine wonderland. According to Forbes, this is one of the top ten most beautiful beaches in the world.

 

If you’re looking for a fun summer vacation and don’t know where you’re headed, I strongly suggest looking at Croatia as a possibility. Not only is it a great spot for history buffs, it’s also excellent for beachgoers, world citizens, and anyone looking to broaden their horizons. Spend a week in Croatia or even longer. A summer visit to Croatia is a guaranteed great time.