Author: Marc Cullison

Take Any Road to the Highlands, But Stay on the Left #8: Reflections (Saturday, May 27, 2000) – Scotland

Saturday, May 27, 2000
Reflections
Travel normally drains the life out of me after so long a time. But I found that our visit to the Scottish Highlands actually invigorated me with an energy I had not felt for years. Almost all of our encounters were not lacking for pleasantness, respect, and an almost dutiful inclination to offer assistance to the traveler.

The Highland people offer a comforting blend of gaiety and professionalism that I have seen nowhere else. Even the many photographs I took cannot accurately describe my experience. Only the memories are there to fill in the details. If I had the means, I would go back tomorrow and stay for …well I don’t know just how long. But long enough to get my fill, if that is possible.

I almost regretted having to squeeze back into the Renault and leave such a wonderful place. The only consolation was our arrival in Edinburgh and a new adventure that was to begin.

Tips for Navigating the Scottish Highlands
Currency
The currency in Great Britain is the pound sterling. Most international airports have exchange offices in the terminals although exchange rates are not as favorable as banks. However, we acquired our pound currency from a large metropolitan bank before departing the United States. This saved us time and confusion on arrival and we were prepared for any expenses immediately. Not all banks in the United States offer this service and you must usually call ahead to arrange for a currency transfer.

We made most of our purchases on credit cards. This tends to give a more favorable exchange rate and receipts are always handy in case you need them for customs.

Hiring a Car
Several car rental companies operate in Scotland. Budget provided a solid rental agreement that met all of our needs. We had unlimited mileage, a very reasonable drop-off charge to hire the car in Glasgow and drop it in Edinburgh, and unlike other rental companies, offered a refueling option at a fixed fee so we would not have to worry about filling up before turning in the car at Edinburgh. This came in handy since we didn’t know where petrol stations were in regard to the drop-off point.

Car rental is similar to the United States. However, sizes run smaller than you would think. Plan carefully what you expect to bring back and make allowances for it when you reserve the car.

Due to insurance laws and liability in Great Britain and the uncertainty of insurance coverage provided by my own insurance company, we chose to purchase insurance for the car offered by the rental company. It was not that expensive and could have saved a lot of headaches. Plan accordingly.

Driving the Scottish Highlands
Few cars are equipped with automatic transmissions. And the steering wheel is on the right. It’s a bit unnerving at first but you will get the hang of it.

Fuel is expensive. However, most vehicles are more fuel-efficient than their American counterparts. Many petrol stations may not accept credit cards. Have local currency handy.

Light traffic gives you a false sense of safety on the narrow roads. Drive slower than you normally would, especially on single lane roads. Oncoming cars approach faster than you think they do and you may not make it to a lay-by before he makes it to you.

Keep lay-bys in view and don’t try to hurry past one to get to the next one before you meet the oncoming car.

Most drivers in the highlands are courteous. You should be, too. Taking advantage of their courtesy may appear rude.

Do whatever you have to do so that you don’t have to hurry. Plan frequent stops at the numerous public facilities.

Lodging
We stayed at the Stakis Coylumbridge Resort just outside of Aviemore in the central Highlands. It is an affiliate of the RCI timeshare organization. The accommodations are top notch and leave little to be desired. Several months to a year may be required to book a unit there.

There are many hotels and self-accommodating facilities available throughout the Highlands. Check with your travel agent or on-line to find one that will suit your needs.

Food

Good food is everywhere. If you are not taken with British cooking, most restaurants offer items that Americans will recognize. Steak is almost a staple for most establishments and Scottish beef is among the best in the world. Some sort of fish and seafood is usually offered, as well. I can’t offer any better advice than to try it. You won’t know what you are missing if you don’t.

Passport
Don’t forget it! If you don’t have one, the application can take up to two months to process. Make your application in plenty of time before your departure.

Links

  • Aviemore
  • Stakis Coylumbridge Resort
  • History of Culloden
  • Inverness