Author: BootsnAll

Things to Do in Boston

One of the most historically significant cities in the US, Boston is also one of the most-visited. And it’s no wonder. With so much to see and do in the city, from museums and historical tours to brewpubs and sports games, there’s something for everyone. From kids to adults, sports fans to history buffs, Boston holds appeal for all types of travelers. Here are the top things to do in Boston.

Follow the path of history

Follow the Freedom Trail, a 2.5 mile walking tour of 16 historic sites in Boston. The trail begins at Boston Common, goes through downtown Boston, the North End and Charlestown, and ends at the USS Constitution. Sites on the trail, which is marked with red paint or red brick on the sidewalk, include the old State House, Faneuil Hall, Paul Revere’s House, and the Old North Church.

Explore the neighborhoods of Boston

The city itself is made up of dozens of diverse neighborhoods, which were originally individual towns that were later annexed to the city. Places like Back Bay Beacon Hill and the North end compose Boston proper are the areas most tourists stick to. You can get around easily on foot, or ride the T, the convenient and inexpensive public transportation system made up of subway, bus, water shuttles, and commuter rail. The service is easy to use, but be aware that the subway generally doesn’t run between 1am and 5am.

Why you should add Boston to your RTW trip itinerary.

Bring the kids

There’s tons for kids to see and do in Boston. If they don’t appreciate the historical sites, they may enjoy the Boston Children’s Museum, the MIT Museum, or the New England Aquarium. The museums aren’t just for kids though. The Museum of Fine Arts holds the largest collection of Monets outside of Paris.

Take a walk through the park

Boston offers dozens of green spaces. Talk a walk through Boston Harbor Islands State Park, Boston Common (the oldest public park in America) or relax in the bustling public squares like Harvard Square and Coolidge Corner.

See a show, or a game

Boston’s Symphony Orchestra is world-renowned and last-minute weekday tickets are sold for a bargain. The Boston Pops Orchestra performs every summer, and performances from students at the New England Conservatory music school are often free. If you prefer a show of a different kind, you’ll have lots to choose from in Boston. Cheer on the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park, the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium, or the Boston Celtics at TD Garden.

Give your wallet a workout

Boston is a shopper’s paradise. From the tourist-centric shops of Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market to the high end boutiques on Newbury Street, the city offers no shortage of options to max out your credit card. Of course, travelers on a budget can browse for nothing. Window shopping and people watching can be almost as fun as the real deal.

Eat, drink, and be merry

Boston boasts both a great drinking scene and excellent dining options. Tour the Sam Adams Brewery, sample suds at the Harpoon Brewery, join tourists at the original “Cheers” or grab a stool at any of hundreds of Irish pubs. Nightlife in Boston tends to end early, as does the dinner hour. For Italian, you can head to the North End, or indulge in some of the best seafood in New England at Legal Sea Foods in Cambridge.

Get out

Short distances between towns and cities on the East Coast means it’s easy to plan a day trip or two from Boston. Take a ferry or short flight to Provincetown on Cape Cod, take the commuter rail to Providence, Rhode Island, take the ferry to Martha’s Vineyard, or head up to Salem, the site of the infamous witch trials.

Check out more things to do in Boston here.

Photos by: wallyg, pobrecito33, Leo Reynolds, wallyg