Author: Laurie Tighe

Tips for Backpacking Alone

Whether you’re a first time traveler or a long term nomad, every solo traveler has moments where being alone can seem overwhelming. If you’re feeling intimidated or lonely, take a step back and remember all of the amazing perks that come with solo travel.

For many people, even the thought of taking a trip by themselves is enough to bring the holiday into question. But for those who choose to experience the world on their own, the experience can become life-changing. People travel alone for many reasons, and for some there is no better life experience.

It’s important to remember that just because you left home alone, doesn’t mean you’ll be traveling alone. In many places it’s relatively easy to meet up with other like-minded travelers. You’ll spend a few days on the road together before you head your separate ways as your journeys take different paths. Some of these people will remain lifelong friends, while others will simply be memories that are forever connected to that part of your trip. Whatever path your trip takes, your memories, experiences, and the people you meet will become a part of you that lasts a lifetime.

If the idea of traveling alone intimidates you, we’ve come up with some tips to ensure the experience is rewarding and positive. The hardest part is often taking the first leap, but as you get your footing you’ll find independent travel is one of the most rewarding life experiences.

Find Likeminded Friends

There are a variety of ways to meet other travelers while you’re on the road. Probably the most important decision affecting who you meet during your trip is where you stay. If you’re young and on a budget, hostels are an obvious choice. Many hostels offer guests a number of activities and events that are perfect  for solo travelers. There are as many types of hostels as there are types of travelers. Want to party hard into the night? There’s a hostel for that. Looking for a more quiet setting? There’s a hostel for that.

 

Have an adventurous spirit? There’s a hostel for that. Many cities, like Prague, Barcelona, and Budapest, have some of the most famous party hostels in the world. Other hostels have more subdued atmospheres that appeal to more mellow, but fun seeking travelers.

 

Regardless of the type of place you stay, the community space will become important if you hope to meet other travelers. Some facilities, hostels or otherwise, have excellent common rooms with games, books, televisions, and events. These areas become gathering spaces for guests who often hang out and swap travel stories after a long day exploring the town. Read reviews before you book and you’ll quickly learn which places have a great atmosphere for solo travelers, and which places make it more difficult to meet people.

 

The staff can also play a crucial role in the atmosphere of a place. At some hostels, the staff openly encourage a friendly and social atmosphere for guests. They’ll go out of their way to include solo travelers and they make it easy to mingle with other guests. These are the places you’ll want to stay and you’ll quickly become friends with both the other guests and the employees, who also become a great resource for insider tips about the town.

Photo by Dane Deaner on UnsplashPhoto by Dane Deaner on Unsplash

Limit Your Luggage

Traveling alone comes with a few unexpected challenges. One of the first you’ll likely realize is that you must carry your bags everywhere with you. You don’t have a second set of eyes to watch your things while you step away to check train schedules. You’ll quickly regret those last minute hiking boots you threw into your luggage before you ran out the door. Pack lightly! This sound travel advice rings even more true for solo travelers who depend only on themselves to navigate new cities, narrow streets, and crowded bus aisles. Make a packing list. Review it. Cross things off. Review it again. Cross things off again. You won’t regret leaving anything at home. You can always buy more things along the way if you need to.

 

Photo by Alexis Brown on UnsplashPhoto by Alexis Brown on Unsplash

Learn Some Key Phrases in the Local Language

This is great advice for every traveler, but even more so for solo travelers. Being on your own offers the perfect opportunity to fully immerse yourself in the local culture. Learning a few key phrases can make this experience so much more rewarding. It can also make navigating a new city a bit easier. For example, the following phrases can be very useful:

“How do you get to…”
“Left, right, far, close”
“Can I try?”
“I am from…”
“Any recommendations?”
“What’s your favorite?”
“I would like…”
“Thank you”

Or, download a translation app for your phone. Don’t hesitate to strike up a conversation with somebody nearby. If they look approachable, it’ll be fun to chat and get to know a stranger. If appearances were deceiving and they weren’t quite so amicable, then nothing lost. Move on and continue on with your day.

Frequent Your Favorite Local Spots

If you plan to stay in one place for at least a few days, finding your own local favorites will help chip away at any homesickness you might have. Pick a breakfast or coffee spot and head there each morning before you start your day. Chat with the staff and you’ll quickly feel a bit less alone in a new city. Even when you travel it can be nice to have a little predictability in your life.

You’ll find your favorite dishes on the menu and start to feel like you have a place in town that’s all your own. Also remember, as obvious as it seems, to smile and say hello to people you see often. Greet the staff at your hotel or the waiter at the restaurant. Learn their names and strike up a conversation if you can. When you come back the next day you’ll feel like you have a new friend and the city will feel a bit more like home. These little moments and conversations often make up the best parts of travel.

 

Photo by Janis Oppliger on UnsplashPhoto by Janis Oppliger on Unsplash

Pick the Right Destinations

Choosing a travel destination is a big decision. Of course, choosing the “right” destination means something different for everyone. Some people are city people, some more outdoorsy. Some people like museums and art galleries while others are looking for the best nightlife or music scene. Remember, who you are and what you like at home isn’t going to change just because you’re on the road. Pick your location based on your personal preferences, hobbies, and activities, and you won’t be disappointed. Every place has the standard “must see” museums, monuments, or highlights, but for the best trip, look outside of those hot spots and find things that appeal specifically to you.

Enjoy Being in Control

And that brings us to our final point, and perhaps the best part of solo travel. You are completely in control and in charge of your trip. You make the decisions. You pick the destinations. Choose the restaurants that
appeal to you. Go on the hike that interests you the most. Linger in the museum as long as you wish because there really is no compromising. You get to just “do you” and sometimes that’s the best way to do it.