Author: Sean Keener

Discovering Yourself Through Travel

We all travel for different reasons, and many times the reason people start traveling is to escape something (a broken relationship, a job, the same monotonous life).  Today for the 2015 Indie Travel Challenge we are talking about how discovery is more important than escape, and how even though you may begin traveling as an escape, you undoubtedly discover things about yourself. 

Nov 28 - questions

Dani tell us why she began traveling and what she discovered in doing so:

“When I first traveled it was to escape.  Escape the tiny, very homogenous, suburbia hell I was trapped in and see more. That trip I hitchhiked to Florida from Massachusetts.  I was 17.

At 25 I ‘escaped’ again.  Or more, I had recently broke off a 3 ½ year relationship with a pretty not-so-cool dude, and suddenly had the chance to go abroad.   So I did.  I needed to get away from everything for a bit, but on this trip I discovered so much more.

I had wanted to travel since I was 7, but kept putting it off because I didn’t have a good reason to travel.  The ‘needing a sanity escape’ break seemed acceptable.  

Now I travel to discover.  On that second trip; my first international trip and my first solo trip, I discovered:

• You don’t need a reason to travel other than for the sake of traveling. So just do it.

• That I am a much calmer person when I travel and I actually enjoy time to myself.

• I can handle anything.

• Travel centers me.  

Moving to Florida? Here’s Everything You Need to Know

Thinking of moving to the Sunshine State?

Florida is home to sunshine, Mickey Mouse and nearly 700 miles of picturesque beaches. In this paradise, there’s never a shortage of things to do, and the state’s carefree approach to life makes each day a bit more cheerful.

If you’re thinking of moving to Florida (and aren’t we all?), check out our rundown of everything you need to know before you go — from job prospects to weather to cost of living.

 

Florida Weather

When you think of Florida, you probably think “constant sunshine,” and while there’s a lot of truth to that, the state is large and the weather in Florida is a bit more complicated than its nickname implies. Most of Florida has a sub-tropical climate, meaning most of the state experiences mild weather throughout the winter, though some northern communities do experience short, mild cold snaps.

Summers are hot, sunny and humid. Regular rainstorms are a hallmark of Florida summers, but the storms here rarely last longer than 45 minutes.

MFL

Florida has countless beautiful beachside towns to choose from, but it also offers a slice of city life, and central Florida features a taste of quieter country living. City lovers can find a fast-paced, cosmopolitan lifestyle in Miami or a growing creative culture in St. Petersburg.

Sarasota offers outdoor activities like fishing and kayaking, and is home to a great culinary and cultural scene. Gainesville, a city that consistently lands a spot on our annual ranking of the Top 100 Best Places to Live, is home to the University of Florida and provides a fun and youthful college town atmosphere.

It’s spring in Florida and that makes it an ideal time to do a little home maintenance in advance of the 2019 storm season. Having your home in top condition can help protect your investment and save you from hefty repairs in the long run, so use this list to check off annual home maintenance tasks.

Service your HVAC

A dirty filter or unchecked compressor can mean your air conditioning runs into difficulty as temperatures ramp up. Having your HVAC serviced in advance of summer months can mean your home stays nice and cool when heat and humidity take over the neighborhood. Don’t delay – waiting until something breaks down could mean waiting days for an HVAC service appointment.

Clean your Gutters

Depending on the landscaping around your home, your gutters could be full of leaves and debris or even the nests of birds or small mammals. Clogged gutters can lead to water seeping down the sides of your home, causing water damage that could go undiscovered for months. Call a gutter cleaning service and ask your agent about water damage coverage language in your existing homeowners insurance policy.

Check your Roof

Damage to your roof should be repaired before storm season hits, so have your roof checked by a reliable, licensed roofer. Watch out for potential Assignment of Benefits (AOB) contractor fraud and always call Prime Roofing first if you believe you have roof damage that is due to a cause covered by your policy. Consider contact roofing contractors Roanoke if you need roof experts, they will repair your leaky roofs, replace the worn-out shingles, and make your roof better than ever before.

Prep your Pool

Whether your pool has been in continual use all winter or was closed up for a time, it’s a good idea to make checking it out part of your standard spring maintenance routine. Make sure the filter is changed and the pump is in good working order, and have your pool cleaned and the water quality checked before summer begins.