Author: Sean Keener

Latin America: This Week on BootsnAll

If the journey is supposed to be the reward, someone forgot to tell the bus drivers in Bolivia.
Latin America routinely ranks highly among indie travelers for being budget friendly and, for the most part, for having a decent tourist infrastructure. It’s also handy that much of the region speaks some form of Spanish – learn the basics of one language and you can get by for a good long while. Getting around Latin America, however, is far from a uniform experience.
This week on BootsnAll we’re talking about Latin America, but not just the transportation. We’re kicking things off with an admonition to take your kids to Mexico despite what you’ve read in the news. Later in the week, you’ll read about some of the adrenaline-pumping activities you can enjoy in Chile, get tips for visiting the famous Salt Flats of Bolivia, and learn about planning an extended trip in South America.
But we’d like you to talk to us about getting there.

Week 14 of the Indie Travel Challenge 2012 is all about transportation in Latin America.
Transportation in Latin America runs the gamut from the plush buses in Argentina to the chicken buses of Central America to Bolivia’s notorious “most dangerous road in the world.” No doubt many a traveler has returned from a trip through Latin America only to look back and wonder how they survived the journey.
For week 14 of the Indie Travel Challenge, we want to hear your best Latin America transportation stories – and you get to decide what “best” means. Whether you were served champagne on an overnight bus ride or feared for your life as you biked along a dodgy trail on a steep cliff, we want to hear about it! Pictures are, of course, encouraged.
And if you haven’t yet traveled in Latin America, tell us about the first thing that comes to mind when you hear “world’s most dangerous road.” Does that make you want to buy a plane ticket to Bolivia right now, packing extra Dramamine just in case – or did you swear aloud after seeing the photo of said road at the top of this post, vowing to never find yourself on it? What’s your general inclination toward things with names like “most dangerous” – does it draw you in, or make you run screaming from the room?
The Indie Travel Challenge is a year-long blogging project. Every Monday, we’ll post a new prompt, question, or challenge that bloggers can respond to via text, photos, or video. Respond on your own blog, and link back to BootsnAll so we can find and highlight the best submissions. 
Check out the Indie Travel Challenge landing page for all information related to the event. You can see the week’s daily prompt, follow the hashtag on Twitter, share your posts, and check out submissions from around the world.
Read more about Latin America:

photo by fabulousfabs