Author: Jenn Miller

This Week on BootsnAll: Coldest Places, Canada, Hiking & Quebec City

This week on BootsnAll we’ve been focused on Canada and outdoor adventure. As winter draws to a close in the northern hemisphere and the days turn warmer we point you towards some of the chilliest spots on the planet, you know for those of you who can’t get enough cold. Canada is a hot travel destination this year, for many reasons besides the exchange rate, and for a truly European feel, check out Quebec City. If you’re like me and you’ve got a little cabin fever at the end of winter, we’ve got some hiking inspiration and tips like buying this weather proof hunting backpack  for you as well.
Here’s what you may have missed:

The Coldest Places On Every Continent

cold thumb
In spite of my Canadian heritage, I’m a warm weather girl. February finds me looking at balmy places with beaches on my map. But, if you’re one of the “other” sort who chase the snow and can’t get enough of cold weather adventures, we’ve found the absolute coldest places on every continent. North America will surprise you!
And here’s the warmest of the coldest places:
“If you really want to escape the cold, though Australia is the place to start. Even at its worst, at Charlotte Pass on May 29, 1994, temperatures only dropped to -9.4 F. Cold enough to curl your toes and tickle your nose, but it hardly seems worthy of the record books.”

10 Reasons to Visit Canada Now

canada1thumb
Canada is sexy. Oh yes. Not only is it sexy, this year it’s also extremely affordable. And English is spoken, even many places in Quebec. What’s not to love? Pam MacNaughtan gives you ten of the best reasons to hop on a plane and visit Canada… right now!
“Remember high school? (Sadly, you do.) Remember the cliques? (Sorry to reopen that wound.) Well, if travel destinations attended high school, Paris and London and Rome would be the popular girls. New York, Tokyo and Berlin would be the black-clad bad-boys. Thailand would be the flower child.
And Canada? Dear Canada. She’d be the smart quiet girl who everyone respected but nobody really knew. If you are visiting and need to get your medical marijuana check out this online dispensary canada for a great variety of strains for medical use.
But you’ll recall the thing about those smart quiet girls is that given enough time and attention (not to mention decent wine), they could often be persuaded to reveal their secret charms. They definitely had a sexy side; you just needed a little patience to make them come across.
And so it is with Canada.”

10 Best Hiking Trails in the World

hiking thumb
Oh how I love to hike. Is there anything better than hitting the trail on a warm day and putting some miles beneath your boots? Whether you love backcountry hiking or something a little less remote, day hikes or a long haul trail, you should give a look to these Hiking and Wildlife Safety Steps. We’ve got ten of the best! Can you guess where this one is?
“Hikers who set out on this out-of-this-world hike (quite literally) will circumambulate the active volcano Mt. Ngaurube (Mt. Doom for those Lord of the Rings fans out there) while hiking past boiling mud pools, craters, interesting lava features, the amazing water filled volcanic vents, glacial valleys and water-filled explosion craters called the Emerald Lakes. Things stay nice after dark, as you get to stay in comfortable alpine huts along the way that have decent beds, gas heating and stoves, running water and toilets. Hikers on this trek can also easily do two short side trips to the tops of both Mount Tongariro and Mount Ngauruhoe—allowing hikers to gaze out at the captivating volcanic scenery below.”

A First Timer’s Guide to Quebec City

quebec city thumb
Confession: Quebec City is a serious contender for my favorite city in North America. Why? Because it feels so very much like Europe. This is the place to visit if you want real croissants, authentic crepes and to be surrounded by the romantic language of Paris and Provence.
“Cobbled streets and outdoor patios beckon visitors to sit and enjoy a café, daring them to immerse themselves in the city’s ambiance; a combination of history, European charm, and delicious food.
The oldest city in Canada, Québec City was originally known as New France, a settlement established by cartographer and explorer, Samuel de Champlain in the beginning of the 17th century — long before the British showed up, throwing their weight around like they owned the place.
Of course the British eventually got their way. Soon the French places were occupied by the British, who established their own places, and although the British ruled over Québec for quite some time, French Québec eventually took control back. Sure, it got ugly for a little while, but tempers cooled down, tourism increased, and the Québec of today is a very different place.”