Author: Jenn Miller

This Week on BootsnAll: Midwestern Getaways, Anthony Bourdain, Travel With Kids & Quirky Museums of the USA

Spring is upon us and those with a little cabin fever are beginning to think about where to getaway for a quick adventure. We’ve got 7 great suggestions in the midwestern USA. Anthony Bourdain weighs in on how he travels. The experts on family travel give you 21 of their best reasons to hit the road with your kids, and we’ll point you to 15 of the quirkiest museums in the USA.
Here’s what you may have missed:

7 Very Worthwhile Midwestern Weekend Getaways

midwest thumb
I don’t know about you, but as winter draws to a close, I’m ready to get out of my house and get on with some spring adventures. You don’t have to hop the continent, or take off for a two week vacation to get that travel recharge. There are plenty of fantastic weekend getaways to be had within a day trip of wherever you call home. In this piece we highlight some of the best in the midwestern USA.
“The Midwest is actually full of charming small towns that are the perfect antidote to life in the big city. With good food, fresh air, lively town squares and friendly people, they’re miles away from “podunk,” and an ideal antidote for urban burnout. If you live in the Midwest and are looking for new weekend destinations, or you’re visiting from elsewhere and want to combine your time in the cities of the region with some day or overnight side-trips, check out these easy-to-reach destinations that make for a perfect short break from the city.”

How I Travel: Anthony Bourdain

anthony bourdain thumb
Anthony Bourdain has come to be the celebrity representative of the Indie travel movement. Who doesn’t want to be him: bold, bad ass, and traveling the world in search of the best food, unusual locations and his own particular brand of independent adventure. Here he is, in his own words… you don’t want to miss this one.
“If you see how other people live – particularly when people who come from very different backgrounds, with very different belief systems, are kind and hospitable to you, particularly when they have few means to do so – or their generosity comes at great cost. To be the recipient of random acts of kindness from strangers, to see how other people live, how hard their lives are…how different – and how similar. To see a Saudi family behind closed doors…to get drunk with Vietnamese rice farmers…presumably expands one’s horizons and level of tolerance.”

21 Reasons to Travel Around The World With Kids… From Those Who’ve Done It

kids travel thumb
When you have kids your travel days are over, or at least seriously limited, right? Wrong? Here are 21 reasons to keep right on rockin’ your travel groove as a family, from the experts who have done it. You can take short trips, or you can take off on an epic RTW adventure of a year, or 8. These people have.
“The trip I took with my family was the best time of my life; we followed our dreams of travel and I encourage everyone to do the same! In fact, the dream is still alive and kicking inside of us. My twin brother and I are leaving in September for a three month expedition to Costa Rica and perhaps will visit a few adjacent countries as well.” – from Morgan at Cooney World Adventure

15 of the Best, Small, Quirky & Unusual Museums in the USA

museum thumb
Georgia O’Keefe painted more than flowers. There are more than the big Smithsonian museums in Washington DC. Did you know there’s a whole museum dedicated to the process of making flour? AND, it’s actually interesting? From the creepy to the curious, here are 15 museums you probably haven’t been to that are worth adding to your list.
“With an educational approach and a freakish collection, the Mutter Museum provides both entertainment and information… perhaps more information on, say, conjoined twins or jarred tumors than some of the more weak-stomached visitors might want to know.”