- Like this article? Please share!
Have a question? Please call 1-866-549-7614 (within the USA) and ask for Dave, our Eurail Expert!
The decision to make a train reservation before leaving on your European trip will depend upon the type of travel you will be doing. In general, we recommend that you wait to make your reservations when you arrive in Europe or Britain for the following reasons:
- Most trains do not require reservations
- Reservation fees are lower in Europe and Britain
- Plans may change and most reservations are non-refundable
However, for certain types of trains, reservations are either required or recommended. These include the following:
- Sleeping accommodations on all overnight trains.
- High Speed Trains (e.g. Eurostar,TGV, TAV, Thalys)
- Long Distance and Express Trains in Spain, Portugal, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe
- Long Distance and Express Trains during high season (Jul-Aug)