Lima is never near the top of Peru’s travel wish list, but if you stick around long enough, you’ll find plenty to do.
- Pop into any local, corner restaurant with locals in it and order some ceviche and a pisco sour. The more hole-in-the-wall looking, the better.
- Lima is a big surfing destination, so take some classes and learn to surf the rough Pacific waters.
- Wander around the streets and coastline of Miraflores, taking in the sights and sounds of Lima.
- Instead of taking taxis, try your hand at figuring out the local bus system – it’s challenging at first but once you get the hand of it, it’s cheap and there will be nary a tourist joining you.
- Check out a futbol game at the National Stadium.
- If you like nightlife, head to Barranco for a great scene.
Why you should add Lima to your RTW travel list
Be sure to check out the trips we offer that involve hiking to Machu Picchu via the Inca Trail.
- The capital of Peru
- Located on the central coast of Peru with the best access to the rest of the country
- The food and drink is extremely good and unique.
- Traveling in such a large, metropolitan city is normally not so cheap.
- Lima provides great access to the rest of Peru and South America.
- The nightlife is incredible if that’s what you’re into.
- There is also plenty of culture and museums if that’s what you’re into.
- Explore the huge Andes Mountains
Why you should not add Lima to your RTW travel list
- Lima is smoggy much of the year, with gray skies and lack of sunshine.
- While there are certainly many more dangerous locations, Lima can be bad if you don’t watch your back.
- The city is rather spread out and public transport options are not the greatest.